belly sleeping

my dd has been co-sleeping since she was bout 2 weeks old because she started waking up and crying every 15 mins or less when i layed her in her bassinet. i love co-sleeping but have been thinking about trying to see if she will sleep in her bed(we have a pack and play next to our bed) ive tried to lay her in her bed lots of times when she falls asleep and within 10 mins she wakes up screaming. well a person from wic suggested seeing if she sleeps better on her belly,and said that how her kids sleep and even though docs say no it helps some babies sleep better. i just got her to sleep and layed her on her belly in her bed and shes been asleep for 30 mins! but i know if i try it at night then ill beup all night worrying. does anyone else's baby belly sleep? do u think its ok?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• being that my child died this way, I would not recommend it. back sleeping is safer.
    Anonymous

• All babies in my family have been tummy sleepers. It was the only way my baby girl would sleep, and I think it is fine. I will say I worried as well, but worrying is a constant part of mommyhood. Anyways, Good Luck!
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 7:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Sleeping on the belly have been linked with SID we nevr but out kids to sleep on the belly. Dr. says its ok to sleep on the belly when the kid is able to roll over by them selfs. I would talk to you dr about it and see what they say.
    cutie4ever12506

Answer by cutie4ever12506 at 8:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My dd belly slept for the first 2 weeks of her life and that was when we co-slept. After 2 wks and until she could roll over both directions she back slept. If really is reccomended that they back sleep until they can roll over. It is a major increase in the chance of sids. I would let her only while you are awake to constantly check on her and keep trying to put her on her back to sleep.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• All three of my boys slept on their bellies from the first night home.

I think it was okay for MY kids. I felt comfortable with my decision. I would NEVER dream of telling someone else it was okay for their own kids, though.....that's a decision only you can make for your own kids....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Like many kids with reflux, mine slept better on her tummy. I was a nervous wreck even wtih the AngelCare motion monitor.
    Sleeping on the back is safer until they can roll over on their own. Talk to your doctor, make sure she doesn't have a medical reason that is keeping her from sleeping comfortably. Then make up your own mind. Tummy sleeping was right for US. But that's my family, not yours.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I had the same issues. My baby slept soo much better on his belly, but i was so nervous about it that I WASN"T getting any sleep! I did some research and ended up finding a baby monitor from Babies R Us that monitors ALL movement, even anything as faint as breathing and an alarm goes off if no movement (even breathing) is detected after 15 seconds. Now, it is kinda pricey, about $130.00 but in my mind, it was totally worth it! I didn't care how much it cost, i just wanted the peace of mind that my baby was going to be safe. Anyhow, I felt much better about him sleeping on his belly after we bought the monitor. I believe it is called Angel Care or something like that...anyhow he sleeps great now. Hope that helps...good luck!

nikki
    nikki_staples

Answer by nikki_staples at 8:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• How can you prevent something that you don't know what causes it? SIDS is one of those freak things inmy opinion. Given I too get nervous about tummy sleeping, but once a baby is over 6 months isn't the likelihood of SIDS greatly diminished anyway? It is said they don't know what causes SIDS but that not smoking near the baby, putting the baby to sleep on it's back, using a paci, not sleeping in the bed with the parents and so on and so forht can prevent it. Well if we can prevent it how do we not know what causes it. It is a freak thing that happens. Like floods with only a few mins rain.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Or make yourself feel better. Put her down on her back and if she flips over after crying for a bit and goes to sleep then you see that it is how she is comfy. My son would only sleep on his tummy from the time he was born. My daughter would only sleep on her back.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 9:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I wouldn't want to take that risk. Teach your baby to sleep on her back. It would be awful if she were to die of SIDS and it might have been prevented.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2009