How involved in your child's education are you?

I was wondering do you help with their homework and follow the school curriculum? Do you go beyond that and teach your kids other things like about art and music? My daughter is very creative minded so I have set up a curriculum to teach her art history. She is only 5 so I keep it simple enough for her to understand. I think it is good to do more than just homework she gets from school. Some parents find it extreme though.

IzzeAddy

Asked by IzzeAddy at 7:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• We do the same thing here. We don't give them extra homework because the school gives them plenty, but we teach them about everythiing we can outside of school in fun ways. We are VERY involved in our childrens educations, that is one of our duties as parents. I am in my children's classrooms twice a week. Our Son is in 3rd grade and our Daughter in full day kindergarten. I know their curriculum like the back of my hand. We are VERY involved in their school as a whole and it is a wonderful school. I believe a good education is the BEST gift you can give to a child. When it comes to college, it is not a choice in our home, they will go and both already talk regularly about where they want to go and what they want to study. Keep up the good work.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 7:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• We are a homeschooling family, so we educate from morning 'til night.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 8:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Very involved. DD is 14 so she shoulders more responsibility now, but we have full internet access to her assignments and grades 24/7. We always ask if she need help or review & she often ask for study assistance.
    Wiggles_GA

Answer by Wiggles_GA at 9:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I volunteer regularly at my daughter's school, and every night help her with her homework, have her read a book, and practice her spelling words. BUT that's it. Kids are in school all day learning and have to come home and do homework, so once that's done, give the poor kids a break and let them be kids! I can't stand it when a parent tries to shove education down their child's throat and smother them with it! Of course it's important! But not every waking minute of the day and night!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Feb. 26, 2009