How often do you answer a question with an actual fact instead of your own personal opinion or experience?

LuvsDanika

Asked by LuvsDanika at 7:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Ironic! I always advise people of this. Just because it worked for you does not mean it will work or be safe for everyone else. It's always better to rely on actual science and research (or to ask your doctor) instead of relying on someone's personal experience. When the crap hits the fan, you can't say "well so on so on Cafemom told me it was OK." Whenever I need to answer someone based on personal experience instead of fact, I let them know that and encourage them to research it as well as ask their doctor.

It is a HUGE petpeeve of mine to see someone say "I don't know but I did (insert non-doctor recommended thing here) during my pregnancy and my kid is fine!" First of all, you've just told them to do something that's not safe based on your own luck in turning out OK. Second of all, your kid is like 3 years old. How do you know they're fine?! lol. They haven't even lived 1/26 of their life yet. Sheesh.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Whenever I geniunely know a factual answer. I'll let the person know my source of information, too, unless it's been years of research on my part. Then I'll say "trust me." :P
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 7:34 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Not very often, most ? on here about parenting are about experience. At least that is the way I take them.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• guilty of giving personal experience more often than not. I don't have a ton of facts off the top of my head, but if I have a story that relates to the question i will offer my esperience. I have however looked up a couple of things out of my own curiosity...

LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 7:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• (lol, I just turned into Desi for a min... I meant experience... not esperience.. I have some splainin to do)
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 7:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• lol you better start splainin right now! lol ur funny
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 7:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Facts are just information twisted one way or another, not really relevant because we are all unique, our experiences are similar but not identical. What are facts when it comes to raising children, and living life, it is still leads back to personal experiences.
    Even in medicine certain facts do not ring true for ever person.
    So to answer your question, I rarely use facts.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:41 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I try to do both.. or try to back up a fact with the personal experience.... sometimes personal experience can make a 'fact' untrue... I think sometimes personal experiences have more weight in certain areas...
    jliv131

Answer by jliv131 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Quite often if it is a Medical Question!
    Anonymous

• Every time I know a fact about the question.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2009