taking a 14 months old temperature

does anyone know if have to add or take away from the final reading if you take their temperature under the armpit?

gurlieracer4

Asked by gurlieracer4 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Under the armpit is the most unreliable way to take a temp. I would say get one of those thermometers you swipe accross their forehead or the one that goes in the ear.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 7:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Just do a rectal at this age. I'm not sure but I bet if you google you can find out.

Anonymous

• Take it from someone who checks my sons temp. constantly when hes sick.... I always check under the arm and in the bottom because there was one time were I got a huge change in temp. doing under the arm versus the bottom. Like Im talking 3 degrees or so and the more accurate one was in the bottom, how ever my sons ped. said to just add a degree when doing it under the arm and ever since that one time she was right. So just add one degree if doing it under the arm.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 8:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I check under the arm that is the only way I do it. I have a almost 4 year old that doesnt hold it under the tounge real well so when I take it I have her try it under her tounge then again under the arm my 13 month old I do under the arm. I was told by a dr that you add 2 to it but then thi new dr told me you don't add any thing to it so I don't want to tell you the wrong thing I would ask your dr.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Rectal temps are the most accurate. Oral temps are good if you haven't had anything to eat or drink within an hour. However most young children do not allow oral temps well. Taking their temp under the arm is fine. You should add 1 degree afterwards to have an accurate temp.
    If you are unsure, call your pediatrician.
    Anonymous