anyone a licensed esthetician

if so where did you go to school, what did it cost. do you make decent money? i love make up and things of the sort and was thinking of going to school for that

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• My BF is about to graduate from S.P.A in a few days, a licensed esthetician. She loves what she does, but is disappointed in her school, SPA (or Salon Professional Academy). She says they talked themselves way up getting her in there and have not lived up to their proclamations or her expectations. But she would have really liked to have gone to an Aveda Institute. I know it's kinda tough to get in, but if there's one near you, you should check it out.
    It's definitely cheaper than regular college (like BA courses), but I don't think you can count on making a whole lot of money right out of school. But if you love it, go for it! It took her way to long to finally just do it (b/c it's been her passion forever)... and she loves it.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 7:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I went to school and am licenced to do everything, hair, skin and nails. I found it better to just go for the complete cosmetology license. I have many things to fall back on. Not to mention it's really hard to find jobs for just skin and make up in my experience and a lot of spas and salons want you to be able to do more than one thing. My tuition was only 13,000 and half of it was paid by a state grant and the others I pay back on my own, it's not bad. The money is decent, if you get clients or someone willing to pay you by the hour. But if you get paid by the hour and have no clients you end up only making like $7 an hour. Half my graduating class had to eat crow before they got anywhere. You can google beauty colleges and you can find lists of them near you in your area. Contact them and they will get you going. I love being a cosmetologist, but it takes commitment to succeed!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2009