• In the Spotlight:

Can he eat baby food while I'm at work?

I breastmilk is his main source right now. But as I work more, the less milk I make. So I give him what little milk I can right now. So can I feed him some baby food as a replacement until I get off work. I only work 5 hours so it not that long.

mama28th

Asked by mama28th at 7:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well first off how old is your baby? second they do need so much milk a day.
    if hes atleast 5months then yes he can have baby food but you might wana supplament formula for him atleast once while you are gone.
    try pumping and that might bring your milk supply up.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 8:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• how old is your baby? if your baby is under 4mos. i would use formula if you need to tide him over. and if the baby is 4 mos. i would still use the formula when you can't BF, but you could also start introducing cereal.

however, i don't BF and only did for 2 weeks, so someone else might give you better advice, but that is what i would do - you could also ask your doctor.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• First off, at 5 months, IMO, your baby shouldn't be eating solids....

But to answer your question, yes he can eat solids while you're at work, but I would suggest that he have at least ONE bottle. If not, 5 hours without a bottle is probably fine, as long as he's growing & thriving. My dd is 8 months and has lately been refusing bottles while I'm at work and only taking solids, yet she nurses fine at home.

Do you pump at work? Even if you only get a 10 or 15 minute break, your supply will only keep diminishing if you're not pumping while you're away from your baby. If you want to keep breastfeeding, you NEED to pump. Try taking fenugreek to boost your supply back up. I took 3 tablets 4 times a day when I first returned to work and it worked wonders. Pump at home on a regular basis so that he will have some breastmilk to eat while you're away- and if you have to, have the babysitter mix half formula, half breastmilk.

kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 8:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Your baby is old enough for solids. Some parents don't start until they are six months, but you can start at early as 4 mos. I would also suggest supplementing with a bottle of formula or breast milk while you are gone. If you have a pump I would pump at least once while you are gone to help keep your supply up and you can give him that milk the next day while you are at work. I wish you all the luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I am having the same problem... =( I've been back to work since my DS was 6 weeks old and the more I work the less milk I have for him. He's a big boy too....9 months and 23 lbs. So I finally broke down and started supplementing with formula. You can mix it in with your milk in a bottle and he does fine with it. I haven't given up pumping at work because I still want him to have as much breastmilk as I can give him! Good Luck!!!
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 8:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• your baby is not old enough for solids yet. every organization recommends AGAINST starting solids before 6 months. if you want to keep breastfeeding, you need to pump! breastfed babies only need 1 oz of milk for every hour you are away. breastmilk is made based on supply and demand. if you are not pumping while away, your supply will drop. you can increase your supply and don't HAVE to give formula, if you don't want.                                       http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• aap recommends solids beginning from 4-6 months.
    cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 8:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• the baby will let you know if it isn't working for him.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• All babies are different, and although 1 oz/hour is typically about right, on average, babies under six months old take 25 oz, but the range can be anywhere from 19 oz to 30. So don't get discouraged if your baby seems to want more.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Definitely check out kellymom, for information of solid feeding, pumping and increasing supply.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 12:21 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Under a year, they should still be nursing within those 5 hours. Do you pump at all? It would be good to get a stockpile in the freezer. You may be able to get away with not pumping during a 5 hour shift, but the baby will need to eat breastmilk in that time.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:32 AM on Feb. 26, 2009