For those who are upset that Congress didn't read the stimulus bill....

Were you this upset that they didn't read the Patriot Act before they passed it?

I can't find any articles now but I do recall seeing many at the time indicating that they never read the PA and many people in support of it said that was no biggie because they NEVER read any legislation in full before voting.

Friday

Asked by Friday at 7:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I was upset that they voted to go to war without reading that info and then later whined that they were deceived when the truth is they didn't bother to read it. Truth is it was totally within their ability to spot inconsistencies and they couldn't be bothered. Considering there were about 450 more of them than there was of the president, I'd say a far bigger failing on their part.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Well no- I was a Freshmen in high school. Which really doesn't give me a right not to care- but the truth is, I didn't understand the impact of such a bill. I'm sure if I had been more politically involved I would have been furious.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• personally i think everything that even goes past a nose should be in people language and have 90 days on the net for people to read and grasp before it even gets BREATHED on; we elect these people damit dont ya think they should at least FAKE being SMART???
    chickaboom73

Answer by chickaboom73 at 9:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Actually yes I was, but it was read to some extent and reviewed for more than a few hours, and had bipartisan approval, whereas with this the intent was to purposely propose a bill that was massive, not viewable or screen able with a computer and given 48 hours prior to voting. The intent by Pelosi on this one was to purposely cause non-reading and the Patriot Act was to immediately protect National Security. Albeit there were many safety procedures in there that were clearly not needed, it wasn't an earmark but rather a law that enabled the Govt. to do in the name of Security.

akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 9:05 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I really think we should fire all of them and start fresh. They are all a bunch of idiots. Their JOB is to read this stuff, what else do they have to do? I mean, seriously, isn't that what we pay them for? To represent us and vote on the laws. How can they vote on something they haven't read? So what else do they have to do?

I mean, besides the obvious spending of all of our great-grand children's money.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• And I regret to say, Friday, I hadn't grown up enough to care about what was going on with the Gov. when the Patriot Act had passed.

But, yes, I think the ones who didn't and don't read legislation should be looking for a job. In today's market. With no unemployment.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I have to agree with some of these other ladies.. I wasn't old enough at the time to even vote, let alone know about it when it happened..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I was old enough and was super pissed off about the PA. I can't understand why some are more upset about money that they are when the govt' takes away some of our basic freedoms and/or does things behind our backs that gets people killed and/or tortured.
    CarolAshley

Answer by CarolAshley at 10:37 AM on Feb. 26, 2009