Labor & Delivery

A woman told me today that she went in the hospital after her water broke 0 cm dilated and had her baby in 15 minutes. She said her mother told her everytime she felt a pain to push like she was trying to do a # 2 and that's what she did. She said she was doing it on the way to the hospital. Has anyone ever done this or heard of anyone doing it? I thought you were supposed to wait until the doctors tell you it's time to push? I'm 39 weeks and getting anxious.

MiMiBreezy

Asked by MiMiBreezy at 8:34 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• How did she know she was 0cm dialated?
    Anonymous

• ya your not supposed to push til the dr says so ive never heard of that
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• never heard of that maybe her mom checked her and told her lol
    Anonymous

• thats dumb, u can hurt the baby.
    iheartkewi

Answer by iheartkewi at 8:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Well I guess she was checked as soon as she entered the hospital...I'm not sure. How can you hurt the baby?
    MiMiBreezy

Answer by MiMiBreezy at 8:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Well, when it is time to have the baby...the urge to push is almost irresistible. I don't know if I could have resisted the urge to push when it came. (in fact, even in the hospital, the nurse and doctor would take breaks and tell me to take a break for the next contraction but I phycially couldn't. I HAD to push). However, it is highly unlikely your labor will progress that quickly. Almost everyone makes it to the hospital in time. So don't stress about that.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Relying soley on the doctor telling you to push can prolong your labor, make it more painful and cause complications. There is a period of time where you can technically push without having the urge to under a doctor's direction and it can be OK. However, it is always best to push when you feel the natural urge to. You are working with your body, rather than trying to force the baby out by your own sheer will. When you feel the urge, you can't avoid it. You want to push so bad you end up doing it. When you have the natural urges to push, your doctor will let you go with what you feel (or he/she SHOULD if they want an easy delivery). There are instances where you may not be able to feel to push (for example with some epidurals). Your doctor will then rely on the contraction monitor to direct you how to push. Yes, it does feel like you're taking the hugest crap in your life (you're pushing with the same muscles lol).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• "Not pushing until a doctor tells you" really refers to when the doctor asking you to stop momentarily to try to avoid tearing or is doing something else to get the baby situated for delivery and your pushing will just get in the way. If you do not feel the urge to push, pushing anyway can cause complications like someone else said.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• maybe that worked for her, but you aren't supposed to push until you are 10cm dilated. You can actually hurt yourself trying. I was in a maternity home when preg with my first and the girl before me went to the hospital to have her baby and she was 8cm and said she needed to poo, so she went in the bathroom and popped out a baby, and a good bit of her uterus. She had to have afull hysterectomy. so No don't push before 10cm.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• No. Your body knows when to push. Coached pushing is definitely a bad idea, and can slow labor.

BUT you usually don't get the urge to push until 9-10 cm, and if you aren't drugged you just go with the flow.

Her story sounds really really weird and fishy. Like you can't push a baby out at zero cm. It just doesn't happen.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2009