why is it that my 2 year old caint talk yet?

my son just turned two this month and he can only say a few select word. Everyone says he schould talk alot more, and much more clearly. does anyone have this same problem, and does anyone have any suggestions to get him to talk sooner?
PLEASE HELP!!!!

mommy.sherry

Asked by mommy.sherry at 10:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I honestly really wouldn't worry.. did you mention it to your doc at his 2 year check up? My son is 22 months old and doesn't really talk either, he says a couple words, maybe 10-12, but only when he wants to, however he understands EVERYTHING we say or tell him to do! As long as he is understanding I wouldn't really worry! Just encourage him to talk, but I'm sure you are already doing that! Good luck!
    AverysMommy5

Answer by AverysMommy5 at 11:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• you should ask your doc about it., maybe he is delayed.
    Anonymous

• I dont really think you have anything to worry about. My son is almost 3 and just started to really talk, about 5 months ago. He was tested and he is fine. They said if he can comprehend what you say and he tries to communicate to you what he wants by gestures, taking you there nad pointing, and knowing what he wants, then he will talk when he is good and ready. Also, boys tend to talk later than girls. If you are concerned, talk to your PED and see what they say.
    etklacik

Answer by etklacik at 10:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I WAS ALSO CONCERNED WHEN MY SON WASNT SPEAKING AT THE AGE OF 2 SO I CONTACTED MY PED AND HE SAID THAT HE WOULD TALK WHEN HE IS READY HOWEVER THERE IS A PROGRAM CALLED EARLY CHILDHOOD INTERVENTION AND A SPEECH THERAPIST COMES TO MY HOUSE 3 TIMES A MONTH. SHE DOES DIFFERENT ACTIVITIES AND GIVES YOU DIFFERENT EXCERSIES THAT YOU CAN DO W/ HIM. MY SON IS NOW 2 1/2 SO 6 MONTHS AND HE CAN NOW TALK 1-3 WORD SENTANCES AND CAN COUNT TO 10. SO THE PROGRAM IS WORKING OUT FOR US WELL! WISH YOU THE BEST!
    TSSN88

Answer by TSSN88 at 10:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• He may be fine - just not wanting to talk yet - or there may be a problem. I'd talk to his doctor about your concerns. Ask for an evaluation. If he's fine, you'll know. If there's a problem, you'll be on your way to getting him help.

As for what is "normal"...
    By 24 months, the "average" baby has 20 to 50 words and is starting to string them together in pairs... "mo me" for "more milk". Generally only the primary caretaker (usually mom) can understand anything that's said. It counts as a word if he uses the same sound to mean the same thing everytime. For example, my daughter said "dee" for balloon for months. But I know what she meant so it was a word - even though it didn't sound anything like "balloon".
    By 30 months, the "average" kid has 100 or more words and is saying 3 to 4 word sentences. Mom can understand 50% of it.
    By 36 months you can have short conversations and mom understands nearly all of it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My son didn't start talking till he was 3. He when from a few words, to sentences without any real inbetween. It really is true if they will talk when they are ready. My sister didn't start talking till she was 4 and she was just fine. So no worries.
    sweetamber2386

Answer by sweetamber2386 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My son is 2 1/2 doesn't really talk all that much, he has speech delays. He is in the same type of program that TSSN88 is talking about. It has also helped him out alot. It would get to the point of me trying to force him to talk and we would both end up crying, so I talked to his doctor and she had us go through testing with EI and it turned out that he does have speech delays.
    Gabriels06Mommy

Answer by Gabriels06Mommy at 3:48 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Call Early Intervention in your area. If you can't find the number, call your local school district's special education department...they should have the number.

I have two in speech therapy. One with a moderate articulation delay and my 2 year old has a severe speech delay. At the age of 2, other people should be able to understand 51-70% of what he says. He should be able to use 2-3 word phrases and have a vocabulary of at least 50 words. (my youngest just had his "end of year" evaluation...he's 27 months and only 25% of what he says is understood in their standard test.)

You can let it go and do nothing, he will eventually catch up...hopefully. I have a nephew and two nieces who spoke late and never had help. They are 8 and 13 now...and VERY difficult to understand. No, they are not alright. They could have used some help.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:45 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• my son is going to be 4 this may and he still cant talk, he'll say words but he cant say a full sentence, but every kid is different they all learn at there own pace. plus my son was diagnosed 2 months ago with PDD so thats also why it takes him a little bit longer than other kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I remember at the WIC place they told us that by age 2 they should know 200 words! thats crazy, why do they expect all of them to be the same, if it doesnt work that way.my son is already going to be 4 and still doesnt know 200 words.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:19 AM on Feb. 26, 2009