why put baby vix rub on bottom of feet?

i have heard anmd read that you should do it when you baby is sick, what does it do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what??? I think you must've read it wrong. Vicks is supposed to go on the chest, HOWEVER there have been reports recently that it is dangerous for some children and may make it harder for them to breathe...I guess if you're going to use it just use a little bit.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 10:07 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• we did this for my dd & the next day she felt MUCH MUCH better!
    I think vicks is too strong for babies to put in on their chest (strong smell) so its better to put it on their feet, with socks on. so they cant get to it & get it in their mouths.
    Anonymous

• No you are supposed to put vicks on the feet. Believe it or not it helps loosen a babys chest and nose and even works for adults. If you were to practice massage you would learn that everything in the body eventually runs through the feet, and if you push on a certain toe and massage it the right way you can relieve a head ache. But yes its because the feet are connected to the whole body... What you do is put it on their feet and then put socks and then a sleeper so the vicks stays on the feet :-D ... I have tried it many times with my 8 month old and I find it really works...
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 10:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Well I take it back! Sorry, I have never heard that! Interesting idea :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• It really does help them! My 3 year old had a bad dry itchy cough at night. I put the vapor rub on the bottom of her feet and put socks on her and she is now sleeping all night long with out coughing. We had 3 bad nights when she couldnt sleep because of the cough and someone told me to try this and I still cant get over how good this worked for her.
    breezy2005

Answer by breezy2005 at 10:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• No one knows why this works but it seems to help lots of parents. Enough so that snopes.com says to try it for yourself and see if it works for you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Yes, it's true. It's more effective..my Grandma told me to do this.
    nel2359

Answer by nel2359 at 5:32 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I use it on my four year old all the time, it works wonders
    StaceyMarie30

Answer by StaceyMarie30 at 1:33 AM on Feb. 2, 2010