Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i need help but im scared they'll take my kids away

I have been really depressed due to my recent separation. I feel lost, like things will never get better. I want so badly to move forward with my life but im stuck. I have a 2year old and im due with my second child in April. Its not my hormones. I really want to seek help but im afraid they'll take my kids from me if i do. What should i do? Please help and dont be rude


Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • Have you ever tried your local community mental health agency? Where I live they're called MH/MR. I am depressed (actually dysthymic) and never once has anyone threatened to take my child. Try calling your county health department too.

    No offense to you, OP, but it's a shame in this world that someone is hesitant to get help for their depression because of fear of losing their children. That's horrible. You should never be scared or ashamed. EVER.

    Good luck to you mama, things will work out. And get the help! :) (hugs)

    Answer by aridattebayo at 10:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • no they wont take your kids away if you need to talk to someone

    Answer by nakita72 at 10:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • They wont take your kids away. And if they decide that you might possibly be a danger to your children it would be a temporary respite removal. My mom was having a really hard time and seeked help. She also specifically requested that they remove my little brother from the home at least temporarliy. When she had made improvments and said she was ready to have her kid back full time. They gave him back. They really try to do what's best for the family.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 10:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • Go to your doctor first and tell him you're depressed and he'll give you an anti depressant you can take while pregnant. You just need to allow the sadness and then move on. Set a goal for each day, like have some tea, take a stroll with the baby and tell yourself you're a good person. It'll get better soon.

    Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • if you feel you need to talk to someone, you should. to be the best mom you can be for your kids you need to take care of yourself. at the very least you can show that you are doing everything you can to make sure that your kids are in a healthy environment.

    Answer by aly38914290 at 10:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • Go get help. They might be more likely to take your kids away if you aren't functioning as a mom, than if you are at least trying to function. i had severe PPD after my daughter was born. My doc never once mentioned taking my kids away, he supported me...and treated me like a human who desperately needed help. I got the help i needed so I could be the best mommy possible to my kids.


    Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • You should definitely find a counselor or a phychiatrist. They will NOT take your kids away!! The only reason a doctor could cause an issue for you is if you told them that you were planning to hurt yourself or your babies. You need someone to talk to, and maybe even medication, you should definitely find help.

    Answer by stepmom929 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2009