I need a few dessert ideas!

So, my family opened a (very) small home cooking cafe and they want me to make the desserts for it :) I am not a professional by any means, but I have been making the cakes and pies from scratch for our family gatherings for years and everyone seems to like them. They are paying me for each one I make and they need 4 for this coming weekend.

I have been asked to make a blueberry cobbler, but I need 3 more! I figured I would make a cheesecake since I CAN make those...they serve home cooked foods like chicken fried steaks, mashed potatoes, fried okra, blackeyed peas... IF you were eating there WHAT would you want for dessert? My mom is making a peach cobbler so that's out...

tandknix

Asked by tandknix at 10:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• If you are doing southern style food like that you have GOT to have banana pudding =) Not sure if this is something you can work with, as it seems like you are looking more for pies or cakes, but...

Here is a link for a really good recipe of it, and you can bake in individual ramekins to make it more restaurant friendly.

http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Bayou/6029/Recipes/banana.html
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• OMG I have a to die for recipe for a flourless chocolate torte that is the easiest da** thing i've ever made. Is there a way for me to scan a recipe to you? that would be easiest.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• LOL...I have noooo idea if you can scan it! Do you have a scanner?
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 10:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting is always a hit.

Somebody asked about Boston Creme Pie yesterday, how about that?

It is a good idea to have simple desserts, too, usually sherbet or ice cream.

Brownies?

Answer by Bmat at 10:26 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Ok, doesn't matter, the book is at my inlaws. Have to type it out.

You need:
    1 lb GOOD semi sweet chocolate
    1 lb butter (NOT salted)
    6 eggs

Bring double boiler to a simmer. Melt chocolate and butter together. Grease a 12" spring form pan. Preheat oven to 400. Put a solid layer of foil around the outside of the spring form pan to prevent leaks: you will be cooking in a water bath.

crack eggs and beat thoroughly over warm water until thickened and warmed through. (they get REALLY fluffy. If pan starts to get hot, pull the bowl off and continue beating. Place bowl back on in a couple of minutes. You can use a hand mixer to do this. It's the same as making a zabligione.

Fold the eggs into the chocolate gently, a quarter at a time, until no more egg swirls are visible. Fill the spring form pan, and place in a roasting pan in the oven. Add warm water to one inch from the top. con't
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• bake for 15 minutes until just set, (it will still be soft and wiggly,) remove from the oven carefully. If you do cheesecake, you are well acquainted with a water bath, and possibly the burns that can ensue.

Leave sit at room temperature for about a half an hour, and then chill for 24 hours. Slice with a hot knife, and garnish with whipped cream and fresh fruit. serves 16.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure of is the temp of the oven. It might be 425, so you may have to leave it in for a quick extra minute.

I've made it at all temps though and had great success. I usually make a quick raspberry sauce out of frozen raspberries blended with some powdered sugar and strained for seeds, and drizzle that on the plate first. There's a fancy name for it, can't remember what it is.

Don't be tempted to cut this in big pieces. It's crazy rich.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• OOO...lovinangels, that sounds HEAVENLY! Thanks for taking the time to type it out for me! I am copying it now!
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 10:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• But I should say it has never taken me 30 minutes to get my meringue to brown so watch it closely til you get the timing figured out.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:05 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Ohhh...AprilDJC...thanks!
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 11:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Homestyle cooking= banana pudding either cold or baked. There is a recipe for one in the current Southern Living Magazine if you can get that. It uses Nutter Butter cookies, but I would prolly substitute golden oreos or vanilla sandwich cookies due to people being all afraid of eating peanut butter.
    Littlejem

Answer by Littlejem at 11:44 AM on Feb. 26, 2009