Worried about teeth not coming in

My baby girl just turned one today and she only has her bottom 2 teeth. Thats it !! My mom has put alot of ridiculous images in my head about it. ex) they will come out rotten or theres something wrong you need to get her checked. How do I get more teeth out of her. And I need some food options I can give her with her having no teeth. She is good to eat anything I give her but maybe I worry too much.

NicoleCoderre

Asked by NicoleCoderre at 10:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Her teeth will not come in rotten! It is actually said that the later the teeth come in the stronger they usually are, my step father is a dentist and he told me that. My daughter only had 2 bottom teeth at her first birthday. Her pedi said there is nothing to worry about unless they hit 2 and still have none. Also at that age they aren't quite using their teeth to chew yet, still just gumming most things so it should be fine as long as she is doing well with it.
    Anonymous

• With 2 teeth already, she's ahead of many 12 month olds!
    It's hard to ignore your own mother but in this case, your mom really doesn't know anything. The teeth will be fine, it's normal for a baby her age to have so few (anything from 0 to 12 is "normal"), and there is nothing you can do to speed them up.

Just keep giving her well mashed foods and very small pieces. She can chew soft things with her gums.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I was told the same thing about the longer it takes them to come in the healthier they are.
    stacy77

Answer by stacy77 at 10:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I just took my 15mth old to the dentist a couple of weeks ago for this problem. He only had his botom two teeth. The dentist said that he wouldn't worry unless some more don't come in in the next 6 months. But mine has really been teething pretty bad. he is trying to cut 6 at once his gums seems to be givng him a problem. So he prescribed me numbing med so that he can at least get some rest. One broke through a few days ago!! Yippie we now have 2 and a 1/4!! lol
    luchousdiva

Answer by luchousdiva at 11:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Dont worry, some babies cut teeth at a early age from 4 mos which to me is very early, others not until a yr or few months later, not a problem and it doesn t affect their desire to eat, just have to be sure food will not choke her. Enjoy that toothless smile..lol
    tigergal

Answer by tigergal at 11:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• This is very normal. My son on had his two bottom until 12 mo. Now with in a month he has popped 1 1/2 out and another one coming. I have heard that it is better for them that they don't get their teeth really early. As far as food goes, you'll probably have to puree food just a little. It's amaizing what there gums can do. Try steaming your fruits and veggie pieces fork tender until her top teeth start coming in. Now that my son is starting to get a couple more teeth he seems to be more open to foods that he wouldn't eat before. Try getting the book First Meals (The Expanded Edition) by Annabel Karmel. It gives recipes by age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• my son got his first tooth on his first birthday i dont think it makes a diffrence as long as there are some there before there 2. I was told that the later they come in the stronger there teeth are.
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 12:53 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Sorry I don't have any advice for you but my daughter turned 1 today too!!!
    Gabriels06Mommy

Answer by Gabriels06Mommy at 3:42 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I always heard that teeth that come in later are stronger. My daughter got her first four teeth on her first birthday. She's been to the dentist and they says there is nothing wrong. Teeth come in when they are ready. Now she's 21 months had has her front four and four molars. THe ones between are finally starting to come in, but aren't through yet. So don't worry a bit about her teeth!! You're daughter is perfectly normal and her teeth will be too.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 8:49 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Oh, and my daughter ate EVERYTHING! It didnt' bother her that she had no teeth! Before she got teeth she was biting into and eating animal crackers. The gums are pretty hard, so feel free to offer your daughter anything you'd offer any other one year old.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 8:51 AM on Feb. 26, 2009