Ash Wednesday

I got my ashes today, if you are Catholic, do you practice this belief?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not Catholic but I have a funny story to share...
    I live in a VERY Catholic town. And I worked in a restaurant for years. The first time I worked an Ash Wed. Was the first time I had ever seen someone with the ashes on their head. An elderly woman came in and had them... I leaned over and wispered to her that their was some "dirt" on her head... (I was trying to be nice) She got so mad at me! She started yelling in some language I never did identify mixed with english. Something about "how dare I." Her friend then told me "they are ashes and supposed to be there today"...

After that day I quit telling anyone when their face was dirty... LOL!!!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:59 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• We didn't go to Mass today, since both the kids are feeling under the weather and not being very cooperative. It's the first year in a long time I haven't gone to Mass on Ash Wednesday.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 10:46 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• we are lutheran, and yes we do. the baby recieved his ashes on his hand. his reaction looking at everyone was cute
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:46 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Yes. I did.
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 12:20 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Cool, I was just curious, as a teen I was sooo embarrassed because my mom wouldn't let me wash my face so that I could show everyone at school the next day how much I believed in God and that Jesus is my savior. I hated it! Now that I am grown and have a son that I want to grow spiritually, I purposely put off my errands, just to do them after I got my ashes! Our Priest said, "you wear this mark on your forehead to show others that you believe that God sent his son to die for our sins". My son was proud and he didn't want to take a shower. We are all sinners but I love that I am raising a son with a sense of spirituality. I do feel bad for being such a dummy back then.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:28 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• For the first time in years, we missed getting ashes yesterday. But, I did spend hours in prayer and reading preparing for Lent. So many people do not understand what we do and why. It really unsettles me when it is other Catholics who do not understand basic rituals. Ashes to ashes.....
    allboyz2me

Answer by allboyz2me at 10:04 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I'm Catholic and I practice my faith. By the way - Ash Wednesday is not a Holy Day of Obligation for American Catholics (meaning we're not required to attend Mass). And yet so many Catholics do go! It's a nice thing.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:50 AM on Feb. 26, 2009