What is the longest (latest) past a due date you've heard a doctor let someone go?

My friend just told me her doctor let her go 3 weeks past her due date with her first pregnancy before he induced. Her baby was either 11 or 12 lbs (I can't remember what she said). I thought that was odd.

What are your "latest" stories?

NovemberLove

Asked by NovemberLove at 10:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I am assuming no one here has had to tell a mother her baby is dead when she has arrived at the hospital at 43 or 44 weeks pregnant. And yes, the placenta DOES begin to deteriorate after the 40 weeks; some faster, some slower than others. The healthy tissue which is meant to exchange blood and nutrients between mother to baby becomes calcified (hardened) and thus doesn't work as efficiently. And yes, the due date is an estimate, so what if it's off , not on the early side, but on the late side? Conventionally, most practitioners will not let a woman go past 42 weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I thought 2 weeks
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• The rules are different depending on where you go. I was 42 weeks, which to be honest I felt was too late because the placenta was alreadey deteriorating, but some places will let you go to 43 weeks. I don't care what anyone says, it is dangerous to mother and baby to let a person go that long.
    Anonymous

• Average is 2 weeks. Doctors tend to be on the shorter side. I have heard of moms that go 43 weeks, but they are usually in the care of someone other than a doctor.
    Anonymous

• I dont think it's wise to go longer then 41 weeks. ...This is bc a due date is only an estimate. it can go 2 weeks either way. ...so if she is 41 weeks along according to her due date, she may actually be 43 weeks along. And that's dangerous. ...yet on the other hand ...she might only be 39 weeks along and be perfectly safe.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• generally i think they go 2 wks however i agree they really shudnt go anylonger than a wk. my son was only 6 days late and he was born with low blood suger and the doctors told me it was because he was late and the placenta stopped providing for him as well as before.
    kaszilynn88

Answer by kaszilynn88 at 10:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My doctor was going to schedule me for an induction after I had COMPLETED 42 weeks. So I would have been on my 43 week. Luckily for me, I went into labor 5 days after my due date. I agree, when you research it, the risks seem greater to keep them in late than to induce.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• 2 weeks
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:05 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• There is no way to prove that the placenta stops working until after birth... so it is all a guessing game. Babies release a protein that induces labor when their lungs are ready to breath.
    Anonymous

• I went 12 days. I had been having non productive contractions for four weeks. I finally went to the hospital and told them I WAS NOT LEAVING pregnant. They figured out that I was to stressed to go into labor and kicked my ex out. And guess what? Two hours later. . .

And yes, they let me go on with that pain for that long. I changed Docs.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2009