How do I get my daughter to hold her sippy cup?

I have every cup made, straw, handles, no handles, different colors and shapes,she still wont pick it up.
I leave it on the floor and she passes it by.

bella021

Asked by bella021 at 10:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I taught my son by holding him on my lap facing away, then helping him lift and drink with the cup. He was still on the boob, but using a cup at 7 months for juice or water.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• How old is she? She should be able to pick it up and hold it on her own by 8-9 months, if not consult your pedi. I would say that it takes a month or so from when you introduce the sippy cup to your child actually wanting to do it their selves. I introduced one to my son at 6 months. He didn't actually drink from it until about 7 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Make sure you all sitting together at the dinner table...and then keep assisting her in drinking from the cup. She will watch you drinking from your cup as she gets older and eventually start trying. Don't stop offering it to her.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Why is it on the floor?

At the table during meals or any other time she would normally take a drink, put her hands on it with your hands over it. If she pulls her hands off, the cup goes on the table. If she's thirsty enough, she'll drink. (since you posted in this section, I'm assuming she's at least a year old?) It took our boys about a week...but they were only 6 months old.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:38 AM on Feb. 26, 2009