by no means am i saying anything bad about people who get foodstamps so please lets be adults

me and my husband went to taco bell tonight and on the debit card machine at the register it said EBT / Foodstamps. what the heck ? since when is fast food a needed food item? if you are in need of assistance then im sorry but in my book taco bell is not needed that is worse then when i see people buying candy bars and chips with foodstamps .. what is the deal ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• When I was on foodstamps, about 12 years ago, I used them to buy what I needed, the cheapest foods I could so that I got more meals out of the money. I used it to buy dried beans, peanut butter, ground meat, bread, cereal, milk, cheese, fruits and vegetables. All fairly healthy, and we got by month to month with it. We seldom ate out other than what my hubby could bring home from his second job at McDonalds. I do believe there is a lot of abuse in the system lately, but you know what, they only get so much money and if they blow it then they go hungry for the rest of the month. It's not like we are paying more because they spend on certain things. They get the same amount either way and risk losing their benefits if there is too much abuse. And no, I also do not think that most people abuse the system at all, but there are some that do.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I think that's so that they can use their cash allowance at a fast food restaurant. If they want to waste the 150 or so they get at a fast food place, so be it. They'll just be broke at the end.

I'm pretty sure they can't use food stamps at a restaurant.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I really could go off right now, but I'm just going to tell you what I tell myself EVERYDAY. Life isn't fair and that's just the way it is!
    Anonymous

• id hope not because that is just .. im sorry that is a bit much ya know fast food isnt a needed food item i just didnt know what to think
    Anonymous

• I wish I knew. I'm on foodstamps myself, and I think that's kinda ridiculous! Why not make it easier for fs clients to get veggies and fruits? like, vouchers for farmer's markets and stuff? Where I live there's lots of farmer's markets, and I think WIC this year will be giving me a voucher (I wasn't eligible last year), so I'm excited! (We usually get canned veggies, fresh is too pricey lately.)

But yeah, I totally agree. Not the best use of foodstamps imo. (I'm guilty of buying a little candy or chips or pop, but it's usually only a little and mixed in with meat, potatoes, veggies, and healthy stuff! Most of my grocery load is very healthy usually!) It would feel wierd to buy Mickey D's with foodstamps to me. I kinda like having to scrape my pockets for the last of my change to get something off the dollar menu lol like I did back in the day before I had a kid. No offense.
    aridattebayo

Answer by aridattebayo at 11:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I agree. I think people that are accepting the help of others should be very careful and frugal about what they spend the money on. I get a similar feeling to it as how we all felt when the banks were bailed out and then used our money to throw huge luxurious parties. If you're accepting help, you should be buying necessities.

For Taco Bell though, they do have inexpensive choices on the menu and I can't say that people on Public Assistance shouldn't be able to use the money for a fun meal (not all the time). It is the thought of seeing people spend all of their Access card money (what we call it here) on candy that makes me mad. I've seen people do it too. It's frustrating to see people waste money (my tax dollars) that's meant to help them on junk when I'm standing there with some bread and milk trying to be frugal with money I slaved for lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• yea. it's not food stamps they are using at fastfood. it's cash aid. ...they can also by alchohol and ciggerates with cash aid. ...but it's all documented and i have been told if they blow it too much on those things they will take it away.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I really think they should somehow limit what you can buy with food assistance. They should only accept those cards at grocery stores, and I wish they could control what you buy with it so that people would buy decent food instead of junk. Not that all people on FS do that, but some do. I've been on FS for a very short time before and never used it for anything other than things to make decent meals for my family, and I'm sure there are other people on assistance that do the same thing. It's just that the ones who make poor choices are more visible because some of them act almost like they're proud to be on PA and flaunt it.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I just hate the theory that their are kids going hungry because Mom and Dad don't know how to budget.

I mean, do they even offer life classes when they are slapping a bandaid on these people? Or do we proverbially hand them a fish instead of teaching them to fish?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I am embarrassed, so that is why I am not posting who I am. We over spent this week, and literally couldn't afford groceries tonight and yesterday. Taco bell was cheaper than making dinner two nights than shopping for groceries. I only spent $15 total and my babies thought they were getting a treat. Tomorrow I get paid and we will be fine. So, maybe that is why they accept it.
    Anonymous