The term Mulatto?

Is the term Mulatto offensive? The dictionary says "the offspring of one black parent and one white parent", but is this word ok to use in public. My son is 2 1/2 and he is black/white. I am from a relatively small town and I don't want to offend anyone by using it, if it is even offensive.

wendydeb7

Asked by wendydeb7 at 11:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The last time this subject came up in the Discuss Racial Issues Forum it was determined this is a demeaning term. I'd avoid it.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 11:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• hmm..good question. I feel like everything offends someone these days...sorry, I wish I had some good advice on that one!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I dated someone who was black and white. he was fine with the term mulatto and actually used it himself.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I worked with a half black, half white woman that preferred to be called mulatto. Sometimes just because she said "half black, half white is a mouthful." lol. I think it's different for different people. All of the other half-n-halfs I've known prefer that term as well.
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 11:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Thanks everyone. It looks like its a toss up on whether or not to use it so I am just going to avoid using it.
    wendydeb7

Answer by wendydeb7 at 11:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I wouldn't like it. It what they used to call the children who were born to a black slave mother and her white master. "Mulatto" kids were neither considered black not white, so they were basically outcasted by society. I look at is as a negative term.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I'm 1/2 black and 1/2 white and I use the term mulatto for myself. I don't find it offensive at all. I think it sounds like I'm a yummy drink ( my DH seems to think so, too).
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 11:41 PM on Feb. 25, 2009