Nuring home abuse

Did you ever notice that residents who have frequent visits from family members get treated different from those whose families visit infrequently? I worked at a nursing home 5 years ago and those whose family members where there got the care they needed and the ones whose family members visited every so often weren't treated the same. It's very sad for anyone to abuse or mistreat a elderly person. The state need to investigate more.

Yellowrose9

Asked by Yellowrose9 at 11:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Health

• being a nurse I know that this is true. When you have patients' family in everyday you have to make sure that you pay more attention to the familys' needs. When a patient is left with out family you are forced by your higher to do the state and national mini required. It's very sad and that is why I am no longer a nurse. I gave up my job for 2 reasons. One being I was forced to care more for familys' then patients... and two the emotional damage.. it takes a lot do be a nurse...
    1ontheway

Answer by 1ontheway at 1:14 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• yes i notice this.. well kinda. im an aide and there is one lady that comes in everyday and says were her family and thats her home and that her house is just a place for her to sleep. she helps pass trays put the shirt savers on clean the dining room, we take extra good care of her hubby... but he is soooooo sweet and precious, he actually reminds me alot of my papaw.
    but i treat themall my best. i do. there is one guy i can't stand hes an as* on purpse and rude and mean and ugh. but it breaks my heart how others treat the residents. its just like gosh if your going to be rude and nasty go get a job somewhere else they need love too
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Yes, I know this is true! That's why if someone I love ever has to go to a nursing home, I'm gonna be so up their butts that they can't get rid of me!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• you have to be respectful though "not up their butts" cause that could make it worse. buts its also so sad the ones that are in there and their family never ever comes and sees them. that is just as much abuse as the caretakers neglecting them
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• this is so sad..it makes me want to go visit a nursing home regularly and make new friends...help protect them. Volunteer....:(
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:10 AM on Feb. 26, 2009