taxes... who claims our daughter??

taxes... who claims our daughter??
my husband (soon to be ex husband) are going to be filing for a divorce... we've already done taxes for this year but i was just wondering about next year- who will claim our daughter. we will have shared (joint) custody and he'll pay child support. someone says he will be able to because he'll pay child support- but she'll be living with me. how can he claim her????

I POSTED HERE BECAUSE MORE PPL CHECK OUT THIS SECTION IN QUESTIONS. I REALIZE IT COULD HAVE BEEN POSTED ELSE WHERE ( & I DID POST IT IN THE MONEY QUESTIONS)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• if she lives with you most of the time and he pays child supprt than YOU claim her. he can't, that's tax fraud.
    Anonymous

• you'll have to decide that between each other because, as you seem to know, only one of you can...it's tough if you will be sharing equal custody...maybe you can agree that one of you will claim her and the other won't have to pay for some expense that she'll need or something..to make it fair.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• thanks ladies. thats what i thought stepmom929... i didnt think he could w/o my permission
    Anonymous

• Hmmm...well if you both have equal custody, you two can make an agreement that one of my friends did. You claim her for one year and then him the next and vice versa on the divorce agreement. Idk if that's something you and your soon to be ex hubby would like to do.
    starbucks81

Answer by starbucks81 at 12:03 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I'd assume that since she will be living with you, you would.

Call up the place you did your taxes this year at and ask, they could tell you with more certainty.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 12:17 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• my daughter lives with me, so i claim her..i've always heard its whoever the child spends more time with
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:48 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My ex and I share joint custody of our son, and I let him claim DS as a deduction, but he doesn't qualify for the child tax credit because he makes too much, but I do so I get that. You can include your child as a deduction on the front page of your return, but not take the "deduction" on the back page.

There is NOT a set law about this ~ it's something that gets decided in the divorce decree between the two of you. My ex had kids with another woman and they took turns claiming the kids each year.
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 5:34 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I know Some people that Decide who claims the child based on who made the least amount of money the year before. Then, They split the money that is refunded for the child only. But it will usually say in the divorce agreement. It just depends on how well the two of you get along i suppose.
    JacquiV

Answer by JacquiV at 11:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2009