Blood testing to see if vaccine immunity has been accomlished?

Hi all.
Read an article about how if you can prove your child has an immunity from the first vaccine you can claim exemption from schools/daycare for not having the required booster shots normally administered.
" From a health care cost perspective, it isn’t economical to test every child’s blood at age 5 to see which kids need a booster, then only give those kids a booster. So, the routine practice is to just give the two doses to everybody." http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/
anyway, my question is, has any other parents decided to get bloodwork done to confirm whether or not any additional booster shots were needed? If so what were the outcomes? Was there proof of immunity? is it similiar to blood work to rule out food allergies, ( ie: when you blood test for food allergies they can take just one vial of drawn blood and test it for 30diff allergens. Would they be able to test for more then one virus immunity

heimikkat

Asked by heimikkat at 11:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• wtf why not just get them the booster?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My pediatrician did blood work on me (1966) and found that I had a "natural immunity" to most things. She recommended that I not get vaccinated. Never have. I'm 42 never had any of the childhood diseases-I have never had chicken pox either! My kids did, all 7 of my cousins did-when I was staying with my aunt while parents were on vacation.

My oldest son had his vax's, my youngest coded with his first shots. He just got vaccinated in the Air Force-had a moderate reaction (chest tightening, coughing, trouble breathing and joint swelling) but is working through it. He is hoping he won't get booted due to his joint probs. now.
    kate3937

Answer by kate3937 at 7:05 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Ya know it is funny. I am 31, and never missed a shot yet I am not immune to rubella. They tried to give me a MMR after my last child was born and I told them until I could research it no. I did my reasearch and found 25% of women who get the shot over age 21 end up with osteoarthritis. They refused to not give me the combo shot. So I refused totally. I am not convinced all people build immunity through vaccine. If they did then why do people still get this stuff?
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:44 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• A titer to test for immunity is a good idea if you are concerned about the risk of unnecessary vaccinations. It takes very little serum ( a few drops) and most labs will make an effort to draw only what they absolutely need from a child. Ask your doc or go to your lab and see if you can talk to someone in the serology department about what tests they do (it may require more blood if they have to ship out to another lab for one of the tests).
    kate_e

Answer by kate_e at 5:34 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• First of all, unless you have proof that any of these people answering are medically trained or have RN or MD after their names, take their medical advice at your own risk. And yes, I am an RN.
    There are tests that can test for titers for immunity to certain diseases (not all), but the titer can "run out" in your body after a while. It's kind of like your body needs a reminder every once in a while. That's why you get boosters for certain shots, like tetanus. Unless you want your child to have a blood test every time they go to the doctor, (just imagine that) I would just get them immunized. It has been SCIENTIFICALLY proven that your immune system uses about 2% to fight off an immunization as opposed to succumbing to a full blown illness.
    And yes you may be able to get waiver saying that a school cannot refuse your child for admission if they're not immunized, but if there is a breakout, they can send them home.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 6:50 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Ah, I am reminded why I refrain from these discussions, and here you have a perfect example of one type of personality you find in the medical profession- the "gate keeper." Medicine is not an exact science, and you have the right to be an informed consumer. There are inherent risks in vaccination- and they are not fully understood. I do not advocate NOT being vaccinated, but over-vaccination has its risks as well. You need to weigh the severity of the disease vs the risk of vaccination. Tentanus is a horrible, painful and deadly disease- chickenpox is a generally uncomfortable situation that most of the population lives through w/out incident. Who is your best resource? Your pediatrician- it is their job to keep up on the changing body of evidence. If, however, you are interested in the mechanics of serum titration, I would still point you to a medical laboratory technologist. That's what we do :)
    kate_e

Answer by kate_e at 3:41 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• well just cause you immunize it still doesn't protect you 100 percent. You can still p[ossibly come down with the disease. I think it's crazy to get a blood test. IF your going to immunize you might as well get the whole series and not stop half way through on the hopes one shot did the trick. And yes I do immunize my kids.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:44 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• We just don't vaccinate :) But yeah, I've heard of people getting the titers tested.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• We don't vaccinate either BUT I have never had the MMR shot or MMR and am immune to Ruebella lol. With both pregnancies they tested my immunity to certain things in the first blood test I got. I can only assume that I am immune because I came in contact with someone who had it, but my body fought it off before I developed symptoms of it.

It is very wise for you to not give unnecessary vaccinations. I don't agree with the resident RN. Being an RN or an MD doesn't mean anything, it just means you have a higher tendency to buy into Big Pharma's bullshit, not that you have any intelligence on the subject outside of what Big Pharma teaches you.

As for tetanus. It's a vaccine we wont do. Why? Because at the hospital your immunity doesn't get tested if they feel you need the shot. I had tetanus shots 3 times one year.. why? Because I received the vaccine then a few months later stepped on a rusty nail. etc
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:40 AM on Feb. 28, 2009