Homeless People

We are warm in our homes; do you ever think about the homeless? Some people think that all homeless people are drug addicts or alcoholics and that's not entirely true. I meet a man last week when it was 10 degrees, I gave him $20. He was very grateful. He said he had lost his job and could not afford his rent anymore. How can we as a nation help these people?

Yellowrose9

Asked by Yellowrose9 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• sad to say it but it would take more hen the few like you and i to help the homeless i donate to homeless charities all the time and i also teach under privledge kids three day sout of the week i am also a active member of the redcross i wish i could make everyone seee how they could make a differance just by takeing time out to donate time or help to homeless..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• The problem is that the drug and alcohol abusers ruin it for everyone. I couldn't tell you how many times i have been asked for money and then they "homeless man" went into the corner store to buy liquor. I have even offered a man a ride once because he requested money for a cab to get to his pregnant girlfriend that was in labor. He would not take me ride, only wanted my money. I'd love to help them, the ones that are truely homeless because they lost their job or something similar but I just can't do it when more times than not they are just lying to get your money to waste on drugs and alcohol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I think about it all the time, because if it wasn't for my parents, my husband and I would be on the streets. It's not a happy thought. The only thing graspable by us is to donate what we can - food or money - to homeless shelters, and soup kitchens. Or if you have time, volunteer at a soup kitchen. Until we have jobs to compensate for all of these losses, we are - well - at a loss.
    Anonymous

• This nation DOES help these people. Where are you talking about? Are the shelters full?
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 12:11 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I personally am tring to help people in my area, Gastonia, Nc with this , me and my hubby run a shelter for people with no place to eat or sleep, the birth of my son (born 2lbs 1 oz) made me realize alot and that we who have alot should help others without.. i am blessed to have everything i could ever want or need so i have been tring my hardest to help those with out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Yes i feel for them, very much when it's cold or raining outside...

and yes while some may not be drug addicts most our... but i think if they try to seek help they should still do it it... i always help homeless when i can... i dont give them money tho (most WILL spend it on drugs or beer) but i give them clothes, food, things like that....

JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:22 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• thundernlight. ...the shelters are full where we are. AND where we live in cali to my knowledge there are only 2 large shelters north of sacramento. This nation DOES NOT help the homeless unles they have children.
    i was homeless once. I went to my SS office and asked for help. the lady asked me if i was pregnant. when i told her no she asked if i had any children. when i said no she said "we cant help you unless you are pregnant and have children". Also, the shelters that do exist up here in the north state are run by CHURCHES not the nation.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:22 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• The sad thing is that the newspaper ran a story on the homeless where I was living a few years ago. The most frustrating thing for people who work at and run the shelters is that many of the people they tried to help just didn't want it. They would deliberately break the rules and get kicked out. Interviews with some of the homeless that would get kicked out of the shelters showed that most of them didn't like the structure of the shelters. Too many rules to follow most of them said.

I know not all homeless people are like that, but they do take up time and resources (if only for a day or two) that could be used for someone who really wants help. Some of those that actually want help fall through the cracks while the shelter is also trying to help those that don't want it. It's sad...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Cali....OH THAT explains it all! And I mean absolutely NO disrespect, but Cali is in the tank! There are shelters everywhere for those that don't have children, Catholic charities, YMCA has dorms for Men, YWCA has them for women, and so on.....! Those that are drug addicts and alcoholics do spoil it for everyone and take up much needed space from those that aren't and just hit by happenstance.
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 12:53 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My hubby was homeless once when we were first dating. It was awful. He got evicted when the landlord sold his house, and got fired the same week, so couldn't get a deposit together. He couldn't get any kind of help. We actually wound up moving in together WAY too soon, but the story has a happy ending.

Many families are one tragedy away from homelessness these days. Little or no savings and living paycheck to paycheck, it's a disaster waiting to happen. I feel for the homeless.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:01 AM on Feb. 26, 2009