Why do some woman not breastfeed?

Other then medical conditions. I knew someone who was on medication for her seizures. Obviously she needed to take those pills and the doctor informed her that they might harm the baby if she breastfeed. That sort of thing I understand.
I've heard of some woman having difficulty breastfeeding. What's the most common problem?
I'm not trying to bash or anything. But i've never breastfed bc my only son is my stepson. ...but i'll be trying to conceive soon and i just wanna know what i might be up against. TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• part of the problem comes from ignorance (medical fields and moms). many moms aren't given the right information and support. docs/nurses may have old information, biased opinions, are backed by formula companies, or just don't care enough to help. if you want to breastfeed, start researching it now. find support, llli.org la leche league has local meetings in many places. these women are knowledgeable and supportive. bookmark kellymom.com, this site has a lot of great info. it would also be helpful to read up on the dangers of formula, it is substandard and almost always NOT necessary. other times, i think women are either selfish or lazy. formula os convenient for the mother, not the baby.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:51 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Simple. I did one and one I did not. I did not like it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I had very high blood presure and couldnt bf past 4 months... cuz of the high blood presure i couldnt produce enoght milk for him... i toook ever med there was for it and nothing worked.. thats why i ididnt.. its not because i didnt want to cuz i wanted to more than anything i just couldnt
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• For some women it's very painful, sometimes they can't get the baby to latch on properly and they have problems because of that. Some women can't keep a proper milk supply and their baby fails to thrive. For some women it's a mental thing that they can't get past and they are just not comfortable with breastfeeding. It just doesn't work out for everyone, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    WhiskerLickins

Answer by WhiskerLickins at 12:35 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• so anon 12:34 ur sayin ur baby wasnt worth it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Some women work as immediately as they can after they have their babies. I've heard the hospitals recommend those women start bottle feeding the baby at 2 1/2 to 4 weeks. Whether or not the bottle feeding is breast milk or formula is up to the mother.

I just went to a breastfeeding class Mon. night and learned that there are a lot of benefits to breastfeeding. It can lower the chance of breast cancer, which is HUGE for me (maternal grandma died from it). It's natural. You know what's in it. Nowadays, my biggest relief of breastfeeding will be that I know what I put into my body, and my baby won't be sucking on melamine. I will be a breastfeeder, but that doesnt mean that it's necessarily right for everyone.
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 12:44 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• the first 6 weeks can be hard at times, but not everyone has problems breastfeeding. really only 1-3% of woman TRULY cannot breastfeed. many medications are safe while breastfeeding, you don't have to have a strict diet (just eat sensibly), you can still have the occasional glass of wine, beer, etc. supply issues can be easily remedied (if that is what is really going on). good support is the basis for breastfeeding success. if you have time, check out my journal for breastfeeding promotion week one. support and knowledge are key, followed by determination. you will be doing your baby a great service by breastfeeding! good luck momma!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:59 AM on Feb. 26, 2009