free birthing

Free birthing have you ever herd of it and would you do it? Free birthing is where you have your child at home with no help other than yourself. There is no mid wife or physician there or on stand by. Most moms who free birth don’t even see a doc the whole time they are pregnant. Is this something you would do?

kristyleigh614

Asked by kristyleigh614 at 1:07 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have heard of it and don't think it's a good idea at all! First off.. things need to be sterile so neither you or the baby get an infection. Second.. what if something goes wrong and you need medical help.. such as the baby get stuck, the cord wraps around the neck, you become pre-eclamsic, the baby's oxygen levels are compromised, your placenta tears from the uterine wall... all of these things are possibilities... even mid-wives will tell you that a hospital is the safest possible choice... if you want to do most of it yourself, talk to your OB/GYN at least be in the hospital for monitoring!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:11 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• i would do it but not if it was my first im on my second and having problems thats why im not but just make sure that its not illegal i was watching some moms on youtube in britan and its against the law there they had to be careful not to get caught but i would at least have a midwife on call so if something goes in a bad direction good luck to you whatever you do
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 1:12 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I knew about it from watching the series on Discovery Health.

No, I wouldn't do it and IMHO, it is irresponsible. The support behind it is that "women have been birthing babies on their own since the dawn of time." YES, but even back hundreds even thousands of years, they still had help. Not to mention, the mother-infant death during delivery rates have significantly dropped in modern times due to medical advances. There are less complications nowadays because there are trained medical professionals available to assist you. Not using one opens you and your child up to grave danger. EMTALA prohibits any hospital from refusing to birth your child. With help so readily available, there is no excuse to not put your delivery in the best hands possible.

The episode where the mother birthed on her own but the placenta got stuck and she had to go to the hospital anyway really affirmed my opinion for me lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:13 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Me personally, no. I feel like there are too many things that could go wrong and I would not want to risk my childs life or my own for the comfort of my own home over a hospital. I think that you should consider a midwife if you want to do something like this but everyone is different !
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 1:13 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• To add, many of these women did not have any prenatal care at all. I mean never went to the doctor once. Therefore, none of them had any idea if their babies or themselves were at risk for complications. Things that could have been discovered in utero that a doctor would have known to test for/take care of/monitor after delivery to ensure good health for the baby were a complete mystery to these women. With everything that's so available...how can you put your child at risk like that?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:16 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I have not done this, but I fully support women who choose this. There are many reasons for this. Primarily, the woman AND man who choose this are always very well educated on birth and how to handle problems. They know when additional help is required. It is not as if the couple just sits around waiting for this baby to get here. The women do their own prenatal stats, such as weight, urin testing, fundal height mesurement, blood pressure, etc, to keep track of the growth of the baby. It does not require the help of a doctor or midwife to gather that information and interpet it. You can find out what position the baby is in just by feeling the belly. Some women choose to have an ultrasound, some don't. All are prepared for the possiblity of transfer, and may even have a regular OB just in case they do in fact need a c-section.

Planning an unassisted birth is not for every woman or every couple.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:34 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I would never do this myself. I want my kids born where there is an emergency staff available if necessary. So far all of my kids have been born in a hospital.
    MBargie

Answer by MBargie at 1:39 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• If I were going to do it, I'd at least have a midwife or Doc on standby, even if they weren't helping. It seems a little reckless NOT to, to me anyway. I get the point that women have done it for thousands of years, but babies DIED for thousands of years too... It was not all that uncommon for mothers to die during childbirth, too-even as recently as 30 or 40 years ago! As for no prenatal care, that's just irresponsible to me. To chose NOT to use proven methods for safety's sake, is just wrong in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, I think delivery should go with as LITTLE medical intervention as necessary, but sometimes things happen.
    Tylersm0m

Answer by Tylersm0m at 1:55 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• To add to my answer---- I didn't know all that about them taking their own stats and stuff. To me, that is prenatal care. I was under the impression, they were not doing ANYTHING. If people are truly educated about the process, keep their own stats, and know when to get additional help, then by all means, it seems like a viable option.
    Tylersm0m

Answer by Tylersm0m at 2:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I saw a special about this on the discovery channel. It looks like a really beautiful experience and everything, but no I would never do it. One because doctors can see things that we cannot, and we want to have a safe environment for our babies. I had a horrible pregnancy and was hospitalized on several occasions and if I was without a doctor, who knows what could have happened.
    lilmizzie27

Answer by lilmizzie27 at 2:53 AM on Feb. 26, 2009