how is it that 75% of formula feeders couldn't breastfeed, when the number of woman who actually can't is only 1-3%?

in reality, 1-3% of women truly can't breastfeed (if that's you, this doesn't apply and i feel for you). so how is it that a good 75% of the formula feeders on cafemom, who've said they couldn't breastfeed, claim that they are that 1-3%? it doesn't add up...who told you you couldn't? a doctor? pediatrician? family/friends? a little voice in your head? ;) btw, if you don't feel like sharing, just move on to the next question and don't tell me it's none of my business.

kyriesmommy13

Asked by kyriesmommy13 at 1:17 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sorry, it is none of your business. Plain and simple... what don't you understand in I DID NOT LIKE IT?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Who cares...seriously. Their kids are fed and that's all that matters.
    Anonymous

• Maybe because the poll you are on is not accurate. Does that seem really hard to figure out? lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• 75% of them did NOT LIKE IT or either did NOT want to TRY it. 1-3% REALLY COULD NOT. There.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I think that people just assume that they are not making enough milk. It is always easier when you SEE the bottle emptying and you know that the baby is drinking the milk. It is more psychological, than anything. I formula fed my first four. I did want to breastfeed but I have much knowledge or support and when I tried and the baby wouldn't stop wanting to nurse I would worry she was starving, so then when I finally broke down and gave her a bottle (and she was happy for hours) I just assumed I wasn't making enough milk. Finally with my 5th I was determined. I also was alot more knowledgeable (*?), and determined. And it really took alot to change my way of thinking. Anyway, I just think that tmost women don't have enough information and support and so they just assume that they can't make enough milk. Also, nurses really push formula on you (at least at all my deliveries which were at different hospitals.)
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:27 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• So, what's the difference... Could not.. well, I would assume that means that the child was not satisfied with the breast milk, sh*t happens... Do you want to come over and breastfeed my child? If not, mind your own child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• *did not have much knowledge or support
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:28 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• if you don't want to share, don't! i'm not going by a poll, i'm going by the amount of different answers i see every time a question like that is asked and answered. i care because the answers saying they couldn't, have an effect on women who may want to, but don't try because they think they won't be able to.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 1:31 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• GREAT answer Bellarose...perfect. I agree with her and its very unfortunate.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:33 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Just to mention, that my 5th is the chubbiest of all my kids. It makes me sad to remember that I actually thought that I wasn't making enough milk. She also giggles and gets so excited when I even get a little close to her that it makes my day! every day!
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:34 AM on Feb. 26, 2009