A non-christian/christian marriage?

Does anyone have a non-christian/christian marriage by this I mean one of you is christian and the other is not? My boyfriend and I have been talking a lot about marriage. I am not christian but my boyfriend is. We have nothing against the other religion/beliefs. We both agree that we would teach our children about both and let them decide when they are older...
What problems have you faced?
Do you think your relationship is stronger for the difference? Why/Why not?
How do you celebrate the different holidays?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 1:36 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a Pagan, Hubby is a Christian. Since our holidays are similar we just celebrate the mainstream holidays with a pagan twist. The only problem we have had so far is the actual ceremmony. It was difficult to find someone to do his portion of the ceremony. In the end a methodist pastor was open minded enough to do it. We ended up with a gorgeous handfasting/wedding.
    The biggest problem I've seen others have is the whole "how will we raise the kids" thing. You seem to have that worked out, so good on you! As long as you are always accepting of each others faiths, and not judgemental, it should work out just fine...

~Good Luck, and Bright Blessings
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 7:22 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My husband and I are both Christians. However, I am a lot more in-depth in my religion and spirituality than he is. He does not really practice his religion at all except going to church on Sundays with me sometimes. Even though we get along fine and rarely argue over anything related to religion, there are some difficulties. I believe in tithes and giving 10% of our income to the church. He is the primary bread winner and hates parting with that much money. I feel like we have what we have because of God and should be willing to give some back. We just don't see eye to eye on it. It's also a part of me that I can't really share with him. If we talk about religion or spirituality, it can't be indepth, just basic because we're not on the same level. It bothers me that there's a part of me he doesn't understand and vice versa. I think our relationship would be stronger if we were united in this way.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:45 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My husband is Christian and I'm agnostic (I was raised Catholic) and the only arguments we've had is when my husband tries to tell me I need to go to church (that's not going to happen) but other then that it's no big deal. He wants to raise the kids Christian and I don't have a problem with it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I'm sorry, but a Bible believing Christian knows that to be unequally yoked when you start a marriage is a big no-no. It's different if you are both non-christian and then one converts to Christianity during the marriage, but the Bible specifically warns to not be unequally yoked with non-believers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:40 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I know many interfairth couples. The ones that treat eachother and their beliefs with respect work. The ones that don't work out are the marraiges where one person tries to change the other's beliefs. That is a recipe for disaster. If you can't accept the person the way they are right now, then don't marry them.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:36 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My husband is christian and I am agnostic. We are both tolerent and respectful of eachothers beliefs and opinions. We celebrate all the holidays in my house for our daughter.....We haven't faced any problems at all other than his family trying to convert me but I ignore them.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:38 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Neither dh nor I is Christian, but we do have different belief and different religious backgrounds. I'm a Buddhist with a Christian background, dh is an atheist with a Hindu background. We've been married for over ten years and it has never been a problem. We each respect each other's beliefs, we agree on how we want to deal with spiritual issues with the kids, and have worked out which holidays we want to celebrate. I think the key is respect and communication and tolerance of difference- it works for us because neither of us seeks to 'convert' the other or to dominate how we raise the kids. If you are able to 'live and let live' when it comes to beliefs I don't think it needs to be an issue. If one or both of you is intent on changing the other, this could cause problems in the future.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:02 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I have a Catholic/Buddhist marriage and it has never been a problem. We talk about things openly and teach both things to our kids. The only hurdle has been his mom not accepting my beliefs.

As far as celebrating holidays I leave him out of mine and I gladly stay out of his. I've never understood how people let something like religion get in the way of love.

JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 11:08 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My husband is "christian." He doesn't do church or anything but his beliefs are primarily christian... I am Pagan. We both knew what the other believed long before we talked about marriage. We have agreed that our kids need to find their own beliefs and we are very neutral with the holidays. Yule/Christmas for example, we only decorate with things that apply to both and the kids get half their gifts on Yule and half on Christmas... It doesn't really cause issues. We don't openly decorate religiously, there are no crosses on the wall or alters in the yard. We keep things private. If a problem does come up we have agreed to always talk it out... Or we simply agree to disagree.... It's no problem. I know much about Christianity and continue to study a great number of religions, I hope someday that he will do the same and maybe understand my beliefs more. But as for now, we just compromise.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:51 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• A Christian and a non Christian can be married. Period
    FanofJesus

Answer by FanofJesus at 2:31 PM on Feb. 26, 2009