Why is she doing this?

I breastfeed my daughter, and usually when she latches on, she pretty much stays on until she falls asleep... but for the past few days she latches on, sucks a few times, and then pulls away and starts screaming! but then acts like she is starving and latches back on again... and then repeats the same process...I don't know whats wrong with her!! This goes on for almost an hour or more before she'll finally get really sleepy, latch on, eat a little, and then go to sleep. (She's 3 months old as of yesterday) She is getting enough to eat, I've started counting wet diapers the past few days because its kind of freaking me out! But I just don't know whats wrong with my poor baby!! Any ideas?

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 2:01 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well, it really depends on your baby. ...but maybe what she's looking for is not the boob, but the comfort. And she screams bc she's really not hungry ...but needs that bonding or closeness. again. depends on the baby. good luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:03 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• the short answer is she is 3 months and at this age life starts to change a little, they want to fight sleep, but the want to sleep but then again they dotn want to sleep (see the pattern? lol)

Its normal it will drive you batty but she is just growing and changing. I used to love watching them fight sleep and start to nod off then shake themselves awake while sitting up lol it was the funniest thing.

keep in mind for breastfed babies latching on is a comfort and way to soothe themselves so she is struggling with wanting to stay awake and needing to sleep, it will pass soon enough, you'll probably notice it more around growth spurts.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:07 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• i agree with the second poster. something else you might want to check is, whether or not you have a strong let-down. does the milk spray? if yes, try pumping/expressing until the forceful spray is done, then have baby latch on. dd used to do that around 3 months, but she would pull away and open her mouth to catch the milk! kellymom.com is a great resource for breastfeeding moms. good luck!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 2:19 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My son is three months old and does the same thing. It turns out, he is starting the teething process. The sucking sensation of breast feeding can be irritating to their gums. She's hungry but it might be bothering her to eat which is causing her strange behavior during feedings. Check for other signs of teething to make sure (chewing, putting her hands in her mouth, drooling). She might not be showing teeth yet (and teeth might not appear for months) but she might be starting the process. It is not uncommon for babies to start the process as early as 3 months.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:32 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My girl stopped BF after a week, because of the same reason. She wasnt getting alot of milk out, not enough to satisfy her and not fast enough to fill her. Talk to a lactation consultant, there's usually one at the hospital you delivered at. They'll have you come in, weigh her, then you BF her, then they weigh her again to see if she's getting anything from it. Or they'll let you know if you're doing anything incorrectly.
    lilmizzie27

Answer by lilmizzie27 at 2:47 AM on Feb. 26, 2009