what is the best depression medicine that anyone of you have taken before? I hate taking medicine. I tried Zoloft but didnt like it at all. I just want something to calm me down and maybe keep me mellow. Any suggestions?

I have been stressed out so much, My husbands job is slowing down, I wont have my rent this month, I dont have any money for groceries. We was counting on our tax check to get everything we needed, including a car. My husband did not do his taxes in 2006 it was a 10-99 for 80,000 (the only good year we had. My husband got diagnosed with degnerative arthrits and a torn rotator cuff on his shoulder so could no longer do his job. my friend died jan 20 and my fav uncle died 2 weeks later. I just cant take it any longer. I dont want to even get out of the bed, but I make myself get up and act happy for my children. I don't want them to see depressed. Im always crying. I have lost almost 16 pounds in a week, Im too upset to even eat. I dont have insurance or medicade , and doctors are so expensive. I want a mood stabilizer and some depression medicine. I am just so depressed I need to get medical help,

cyndi178

Asked by cyndi178 at 3:05 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Health

• I loved Welbutrin and I also liked Paxil but It made me gain weight. The only depression med that doesn't make you gain tons of weight or any actually is Welbutrin.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• yeah go to your local mental health deparment they will help you and if you ddont have insuranse they have a program through them...ask for klonopin it works wonders
    Anonymous

• There are also free clinics you can find around where you live. They are all around...Go to your local health department and ask about one. You can get depression meds for REALLY cheap..like $4 a month.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• This may sound silly but have you tried St.Johns Wort. It really works for me. Its cheap with none of the side effects.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Anti depressants work by altering serotonin. This may be what you need if you have had a history of depression. Though, it sounds like you are under an unnatural amount of stress right now. Have you thought of taking natural products? B vitamins are great for stress. Chamomile too. Magnesium is a natural muscle relaxant. Valerian root works wonders - works just as good - or better -than xanax to calm nerves and no side effects, no addiction. All of these can be purchased cheaply at a health food store. Wal-Mart even. And no doctors bills. I eat chamomile right out of my yard for free - but you can buy tea. You have to eat food also to ensure that vitamins / minerals get used. Lack of nutrients can cause severe depression and anxiety. It can be a cycle. I've been there. These things were a life saver for me. Especially the Valerian root / chamomile. You can get vitamins with a good cereal. Try to take care of yourself.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 3:48 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I am Prozac and it is working really well. When I am not on it I am raving lunatic, seriously. The smallest things push me over the edge if I am not on an anti-depressant.

See a doc and take care of yourself.

hugs

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Smoke a bowl, I know that sounds really bad but seriously! weed seems to be a natural cure for anything. I have a friend who has MS she smokes it to slow down the process, I smoke because I get depressed and sometimes cant sleep
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I too took Paxil. It worked wonders.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like you have a lot on your mind and it seems like you think about those thing a lot. Could it be anxiety and not depression. A question you should ask your Doctor. My Neurologist prescribed me Klonopin. After trying all other depression medications, this is what works best for me. It calms my mind down and lifts the anxiety of things and helps me sleep. I use it only when needed because of the high addiction rate it has.

Good luck too you and take care.
    TamaraKay

Answer by TamaraKay at 8:24 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• There is a mental health group on CM that is semi-active. You might check it out as well.
    Littlejem

Answer by Littlejem at 8:25 AM on Feb. 26, 2009