What is the story behind skateboards?

Why do they seem most hated in the community? My son loves to skateboard and I try to support it but it's hard because I really don't see anything positive about it. The kids seem to be in the I don't care kind of world but my son is not like that. Apparently cops feel the same way because I've seen them take skateboards away from kids. Are all skateboarders troublemakers or something?

sandscott

Asked by sandscott at 5:49 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• No they aren't all troublemakers but a few kids break the rules over and over again so they all get a bad rap.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:08 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Maybe they aren't "all" troublemakers but a lot of them are and give the ones who "aren't" a bad name. There must be more bad than good. My dh works at a college and he's said so... many times they are always wrecking property w/their skateboarding.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 10:16 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• i think that people think teenagers are "bad". they are going threw so much and trying to figure out who they are and who they are going to be and a lot of teens get into trouble but a lot are not trouble makers either. i would just think back to when you were a teen what did you do that your parents hated. and as far as the cops go i would tell your son to obey the law and ride where it is permitted.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I agree, a few trouble makers cause problems for everyone. Kids racing down sidewalks where people are walking, kids jumping and doing tricks (can you say lawsuit waiting to happen?), kids grinding down benches and damaging public property.
    The grade school near me recently put in a nice little courtyard area with concrete benches for the kids - but they didn't install any "anti-grinding" bumps on the bench edges. Three years later the benches are all beat up and the edges all rough and ground down simply from skateboarders ignoring the signs and grinding away on the benches. Sad.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Most people don't want kids skating on their property because of the insurance. It usually has nothing to do with "bad kids". They are afraid of getting sued if child or young adult gets hurt. Or the damage that may happen to the property is also not covered under their insurance, so they won't be able to replace it.
    connietrrll

Answer by connietrrll at 2:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I agree. They do get a bad rap. I have a friend whose husband is an avid skateboarder. Hes an adult and has a full time job but in his spare time, he loves to skateboard. He ends up hanging out with teenagers. He is working very hard to get a skate park put in their community so these kids have a place to go. He meets up with them every Tues night to skate in authorized areas but its not much. He said lots of kids show up just wanting to talk or hang out. Theres nothing bad about them. I definitely feel that we should give kids a place to go to do their hobbies. Plus it keeps them out of trouble.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:26 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Ok here's my thing if you don't want them on the streets or in the parking lots then why not agree to have a huge inside Skate Park? My son skates at a place where he sees a large group because it's safer. There's an empty lot on a corner and people come to watch them sometimes. It's when they're skating to the area when they get picked on. As for my son I drive him there & pick him up. Skaters are people too! As for the cops, people, personal property, & insurance if they would just explain to the kids their concerns instead of yelling at them or taking & snapping their boards in half I’m pretty sure they would understand and respect that they are not to skate in that area. I don’t see them drinking, smoking or hugged up in some corner between some girl’s legs. I am going to try to find a way to help them in my community. Wish me luck.
    sandscott

Answer by sandscott at 6:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• i wish you the best and agree if you give good kids a place to go they have less chances to get in trouble and why should a few bad eggs spoil the whole basket? fight for what you belive in!!
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 4:04 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Ok, so here's an update on the skateboard issue. Rockville has opened the skate park to skaters for free!!!! Yippppy!!!!! My son go every day after summer school and he has progressed wonderfully. Now what I'm hoping with happen is finding a way to get a few pros to come down and do a few shows or something. Surprisingly enough, there is no supervision but there has not been any incidents that would require the authorities. Awesome! Thanks for your input and support. I will keep you updated. Oh and I will definitely have to upload some of his latest videos....great stuff!
    sandscott

Answer by sandscott at 9:08 AM on Jul. 12, 2009