earwax and kids

anyone know the best way to get earwax out of a childs ear my son has an excessive amount and i once heard that qtips just push it in more i just want to try to get some out with out making things worse

proudmom34

Asked by proudmom34 at 6:25 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Health

• My husband gets a lot of earwax build up and he pours (or has me pour) a little bit of peroxide inside his ear cavity and it eats it up, I guess. Not sure if you can use it on a child though. I'd just call the pedi and ask if it's okay for children.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 6:55 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• this may not work if he's really young, but i used peroxide once a month to clean my ears out. it takes a while if there's a lot of it in there though. your doctor can use an instrument to scrape it out but once again if he's young and jumpy that may not be such a good idea.... they also make a solution just for ear wax build up, well.. there's several different brand names but i'm guessing they pretty much all work the same. i would just go to wal mart and ask the pharmacist or something
    pringles_697

Answer by pringles_697 at 6:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I have some natural stuff upstairs. I'll check the namer and get back to you.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:11 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• We use Debrox. You put it in their ears for a few days to let it soften, then grab a snot sucker or if you can get an irrigating syringe and use WARM water and peroxide to squirt in the ear. You have to remember with a child to pull the earlobe DOWN and BACK. You also have to make sure the water is warm because if it is too cold, you will mess up the equilibrium and cause your child to get very dizzy.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:59 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• The pediatrician can do it. They have scrapers to get into the ear canal.
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 9:01 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Similason
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My 5-year-old has a lot of earwax, too and our ped said that Debrox was good, and that doing it at home was less stressful for them than having it done at the hospital.
    kate_e

Answer by kate_e at 4:03 PM on Feb. 26, 2009