BF every 2hrs all night, 4AM can sleep over 4 hrs - why?!

My daughter is 7 mo. and wakes every 2 hrs until 4 AM then she sleeps until 8 or even 9:30 at times!What's up with that??? I am a wreck all day long because I have 2 toddler boys, one who wakes up very early everyday - so I'm not getting more than 2 hrs. at a time and then it's time to wake up w/ him! I HAVE to get some more sleep in the middle of the night. So, if she is able to sleep for such a long stretch after 4, why can't I (or HOW CAN I) coax it between the hrs of 12 & 4 ???

vivianirene

Asked by vivianirene at 6:43 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Thanks for all of these suggestions! Baby falls asleep on her own in her crib, and after I nurse her she goes right back to sleep there. I thought that was at least one plus right now.... Should I be concerned about creating a hard habit to break down the road if I start putting her in bed w/ me? Also, I should mention that she even nurses about every 2 - 2 &1/2 hrs. during the day as well! In addition to basic solid meals (rice cereal, fruit, veg). Thanks again!
    vivianirene

Answer by vivianirene at 9:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• welcome to mommyhood! make DH get up w/ the baby take turns its only fair
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:45 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• What about if you put your breast milk in bottles and have hubby feed her during the night so you can get more sleep?
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 6:57 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My husband commutes 2 &1/2 hours to work (that's 5 hrs. total) everyday, wouldn't be fair to him right now, either :-( Maybe it's too late for a bottle, I've been trying sporadically since she was a couple of months old, and she wants no part of it. No pacifier either! Didn't have this probl w/ my 2 boys.
    vivianirene

Answer by vivianirene at 7:36 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Baby's do this thing where they eat eat eat before bed (BF babys that is) and your little one is just doing it at the wrong time... try a nite time routine, I have a 4 week old and I start with a bath at 7 and then naked time on the floor (he loves to be naked) I use lavinder lotion on him, dress him swaddle him with this swaddler I got at babies r us and cuddle in the chair in front of the t.v while I nurse, when he stops I burp, wake him up and start again.. he does get annouyed with me, lol, but its o.k... When I know he's done, he is asleep and even burping him wont budge him I put him in bed.... He will sleep 8-8:30 till about 1... then I pull him bed with me and feed him/fall alseep and he;s up at 3ish again, I feed him and fall asleep... Just so you know I give yo kudos for understanding your guy works and needs the sleep to.. My guy works 12 hrs a day and commutes an hour both ways...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Keep nursing, it's probably comfort and maybe teething. I didn't night wean until 13 months...he was a snacker. uuggh
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Could be teething. My 7 month old is starting to cut teeth and she likes to do this to me too, and I have two older children, so I feel your pain! If you don't have a bedtime routine like a PP mentioned, it's a good time to get one started. There is also a book you could check out, it's called "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. I'm reading it, and so far, it's working. She's sleeping longer bouts of time during the night, and actually takes naps now. Your DS is waking up waaaay to late in the day, and that's probably why it's taking him so long to settle down for more than two hours until 4 a.m. It get's better!!!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• 7 month olds can be very distracted with the world around them. She may be entertained watching her brothers during the day and is skipping a lot of nursing. then she needs to nurse all night to "make up" for it. Try to get her to nurse more during the day. find a few times during the day when you can have a quiet dark place to nurse.
    My 1st son did this at this age. What saved me was to have him in bed with me. I could sleep through most of his all night nursing.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I always had luck by feeding some cereal at the midnight feeding. It would at a minimum give us a good two more hours before waking.

Squido

Squido

Answer by Squido at 4:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2009