Rated M games like playstation games

do u allow yr preteen to play such games that are rated M??? like grand theift auto adn god of wars ???

Dixiemomchick

Asked by Dixiemomchick at 7:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• No, they are allowed to play some teen games like rock band but nothing violent. My 16yr old is allowed to play any game he wants.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:04 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• No not unless they are games that arent that bad but the ones you mentioned they cant play. My older kids can play them though but they are 15, 16 and 19 so I dont have an issue with it. My younger kids can only play games rated for them or T games like guitar hero, rockband etc.

Answer by gemgem at 7:22 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My 12 yr old has all of the Grand Theft auto games, I really don't see it as a big deal, we have talked about all of them, I have seen them, he knows whats real and what isn't. I'm sure some will think I'm a "bad mom" for it but I don't do what everyone else does... He is also only allowed 30 minutes a day on it so he's not in front of a TV all day, with that or regular TV. I think it's the involvement that you have, if you just let them have unlimited time on the things that does more damage then anything they see on them... If I kept him from it I'm sure he would be at a friends on the weekends playing it for hours,lol
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 9:07 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I don't let them play GTA, but there are other rated M games that I allow. I don't mind the shoot em up games, but being able to kill cops and screw hookers is too much.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:45 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• No. Mine are not yet that old but i will NOT allow ANYONE to play games like that, watch movies like that, get onto websites like that in my house.

Lol.. im not a snotty mean old woman either. Im 20 and a mother of two ;)
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 12:24 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• my family is a "gamer"' family. my husband has the gta and we let out kids play. but we tell them that this is all a game and that you can not die in real life and just end up at the hospital. so we let the ones above the age of 12 play with dad but after the little ones go to bed. if they started really beliveing that what was in the game was real i would have a problem with it. we joke about what would happen or how dead you would be if it were real. my kids understand but i beleive that some kids dont and should not be allowed. so it depends on the kid.
    Anonymous

• With my older kids I was really strict, didn't even get them a game system till they were 9-11, but with my littlier ones it has been harder to outright ban games, cause even if they aren't playing them they are most likely watching the older ones. So instead of banning the games we talk about the games. My older kids fill me in on what might be an issue and I talk with them about it. They are now very aware of the fact that the games are make believe, that people don't get back up once they are shot, that aliens aren't really going to come suck our brains out (not that I know of anyways :) ). Some kids wouldn't be ready though and that should be considered when deciding what games are ok for each family member. I do not believe that video games or music is what cause some kids to behave badly, I believe a parents lack of involvemnet in the things our kids are interested in are the bigger issue.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 2:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I have an 11 yr. old boy that does the same thing. His name is Martin. He is a video game freak! He is into the outdoors and likes guns, cause his dads a hunter. As parents i have talked to him about that activity. He's 11 but knows that shooting people is wrong. So yes he does get those rated M but it all boils down to how he was raised. You have to disipline him! Your kid doesn't need to be too worldly but still let him have some fun...:)
    sweetmom346

Answer by sweetmom346 at 5:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• God of Wars... NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My DH plays that game & the sex in it is a bit much even if its only a mini segment of the game..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 26, 2009