do you think Alayla sounds like a "black name" (read description)

I told my mom our names and she said Alayla sounds "black". I was like WTH? since when are names assocaited with color? to me it almost sounded racist.. we LOVE the name and are using it any ways i just wanted to see if anyone agrees with my mom.. she says that baby will be teased for being white and having a "black name" i think its totally dumb.. i Mean i know a black people who have "white" names... isnt it just a name?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 7:32 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ha ha when i told my mother what i was naming my oldest daughter she said it sounded like a hooker. her name is miranda. lol with my third she was like omg that is soo ugly her name is bailey shea mothers are just impossible people
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:35 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• oh and by the way i think its pretty
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:36 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• It's your child that will "make" the name, not the other way around. But I don't think I would have used that wording in your question.... I don't think you meant offense by it, but some people might be offended. :)
    Tylersm0m

Answer by Tylersm0m at 7:42 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I think it's a cute name. A lot of people have told me I have a black name. I would never say a name sounds black or white. As long as you like it, that's all that matters.
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 7:43 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• i think its cute ... and no names sound like a color , unless u name them after a color lol ... that comment to me was racist (considering my childs bi racial as well as most of my family) ...
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 7:46 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I wasn't trying to be racist. I'm sorry you took it that way (if that comment was towards me).
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 7:57 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• lol no i wasnt!!!! the op said her mom said it sounded black lol i was directing that to her , well her mom lol ...

shit everyone told me the name i chose for my son was too black (and hes to a white guy) so i couldnt pick it ... and my daughter whose mixed , her name is to black ... if i named her Black , than yes her name would sound 'black' , i hate people that say that shit sounds like a color , its stupid to say it unless u actually are naming them after a color lol
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 8:01 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Oh, okay. haha. Just making sure. I hate when people do that. I don't understand why a name has to be a certain race. Can't it be because you actually like the name?!
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 8:06 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I think the associations with names are just based on traditions. Unique names are associated with African Americans because face it, then tend to be more creative with names. If you name your child Alayla, the associate that people will form of the name is with your child. While the name may sound "black" to your mother now, once the baby is born and people hear the name associated with your child, they will think of her when the hear it.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 8:32 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• So if that is a black name Mine is a white name Shelley
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2009