Breast feeding... Not getting enough?

Ok, so I was stupid and durring a growth spurt (so you girls said thats what waas going on) I started bottles (thought I was drying up) that was for 2 or 3 days (time flys with a 4 week old) I was breast feeding alittle (very little) and now I am trying to start again... Well anyways, I am breast feeding on demand and he was so cranky (hungry cries) all day yesterday! I felt so bad so I bottle feed him (8 onces!!) and pumped after, so my boobs would think I was feeding the littl man... Well I only got .5 ounces out of both sides combined... I am drying up aint I? I feel awful, I love BF him and I dont think I can anymore... Do you think there is anything I can do to fix my screw up (if I wasnt drying up in the first place) I think it bothers me mopre than it does him :( I cant starve him. But last nite in bed I BF when he woke up at 12 and 2 and he seemed satified, but was VERY cranky this morning... what am I doing wrong?

ashley_hatty

Asked by ashley_hatty at 7:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you want to BF don't give into the bottle. only thing i can tell you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Pumping is no indication of supply. Many women do not respond as well to the pump as they do to baby. The best thing you can do is nurse, nurse, nurse. This is not a lost cause, far from it. You can get your supply back up. Make a batch of oatmeal cookies and eat them all yourself. Take fenugreek capsules. Drink mother's milk tea. Those things may give your supply a little boost. But above all, just keep on nursing. As long as babys is wetting diapers and gaining weight, you're doing just fine, mama. You said he was cranky this morning... had you gone several hours without feeding him? If so, that's totally normal. Breastmilk digests faster than formula. Anything longer than 2-3 hours at this age is a long time to go without eating. Hang in there, mama. You can do it!
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:01 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• One thing you can do to ease your mind is weigh baby before and after a feeding. See if a lactation consultant or your pedatrician will let you use a medical scale for this. The difference in weight is how much baby ate. This is really the only way to reliably know how much your child gets from nursing.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:02 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Well at birth he weighed 7.4 dropped to 7 and yesterday (today he is 4 weeks) hew weighed10.8.. and has grown 2.5 inches
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 8:07 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Sounds like he's doing great! Remember that bf babies gain weight more slowly than ff babies, and that's okay.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:16 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Using the scale is a poor indicator of this. Unless you use the same scale and weigh after every feeding. They take in different ammounts at each feeding. The best way to tell that he's getting enough is to stop the bottles for a day or two. Count diapers; if he's going through 6-8 diapers a day, then he's getting plenty. If the dipe count drops, you may have to keep supplementing. Make sure you're nursing before you give him any bottles. You could even look into an SNS to use so that you cut out bottle entirely. Check out www.kellymom.com for some great back to breast tips.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 8:19 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Oh he's fine, breast milk is a lot thinner than formula, so it may be that he's just not "satisfied" or feeling as full. Nutritionwise, he's getting everything he needs :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:03 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Pumping is not an indication at ALL of how much milk your making. I can pump 1-2 ounces combined at a time, yet we've been nursing for 7 months with no problems what so ever. Sounds like you're doing good mama! Babies are fussy! Your 4 week old sleeps better than my baby! Count dipes like ncbirdie said, and ditch the bottles! You're doing a great job!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Do diaper count. As long as he is getting 6-8 wets a day, and at least a dirty every 2-3 days at this point (my daughter would go 3-5 days). Drop the bottles. At this point of the babys life it is normal to be attached to you almost 24/7. You can make it mama!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:55 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Drop any bottles. Nurse on demand, without timing feedings. Count the number of diapers you change. If it's 6-8, your supply is fine. If the baby seems hungry after nursing, just nurse again. This will help stimulate more milk production.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:03 AM on Feb. 26, 2009