Professional opinions please.... does my son have a leg to stand on?

My DS works for a security company. His manager (honestly) seems to be a real b****; she keeps changing his job duties, like he has a written description of what a certain client wants, my DS does that, then she changes it verbally. Now she's resorted to writing him up because he follows the written orders for the client. She also is doing a payroll deduction for a piece of equipment that broke while he was on shift (it's a piece that's shared with other employees - but he's paying $400 for it). He put in an official request for 1 day off for personal reasons, she refused to let him have the day bcuz he wouldn't tell her exactly what he was doing that day. He wound up calling in that day (honestly he had too - and his reason was none of her business - he has personal days he can use). She and another supervisor started calling his friends to try and find out where he was (like literally trying to get someone (CONT'D)

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 8:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• You won't like this answer but this is how it will pan out from a legal standpoint - nearly every state in the country is a right-to-work state, which means your employment (barring a contract or union) can end at any time, for any reason, by either party. In addition, unless your son is a member of a protected class and is being discriminated against by this supervisor BECAUSE of his protected class, he has no legal standing with an EEOC complaint.

It also means that his supervisor can treat him differently from other employees, and ask him to do other work outside of his job description. He has a choice as to whether or not he decides to follow her instructions, and deal with the fallout as it occurs.

The hours he is being accused of not working is a seperate issue and I'll continue in another post, since space is limited here.
    savagehumor

Answer by savagehumor at 9:26 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I think his boss is way out of line and you should call eeoc. http://www.eeoc.gov/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Sry know you said contd but that was all i needed
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• to tell them where he was). His co-worker told him that they were out driving around trying to find him. (Now he was home with me - I had minor surgery that day). This piece of equipment that they are charging him for is a computerized deggy (it records information when he attaches it to a button in his buildings), it has gone down a number of times (not just to him) and not recorded the information. Since, it seems, they couldn't catch him in a lie on the day he called in, they have now accused him of only doing 45 minutes of a 12 hour shift, because this deggy didn't record again, and she wrote him up for it. Now, in his defense, he has worked for this co. for 8 months (4 mos in another city) and his record was spotless until this manager went after him. He does not call in, go in late, or take off early. I say she's out to get him and she will eventually railroad him.... he's in denial. What do you think?
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:05 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• It does sound like she's out to get him. The problem, though, is that it's going to be a matter of her word vs. his word. And if she's been there longer than him, they may choose to take her word. I've never been afraid of confrontation, so if it were me, I'd go to HR and complain about being treated that way. But, if he decides to try to do something about it, he needs to be prepared to look for another job, in case things don't go his way. It sucks, and it's not fair, but he might end up getting screwed over.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:10 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• yeah it will be his word against her but if u use that link above i bet that chit stops and if not u complain again and she will end up being out the door.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Here's the big WTF, he's called her supervisor repeatedly, and the guy will not return his calls. He's called HR and left messages, still no return calls..... he's talked to his former supervisor in the other city to get advise, that guy says go to corporate, but to be careful to follow the chain of command. My son has made a dozen or more calls over the last two weeks..... and has gotten no where.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:17 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Another question..... does the EEOC protect him against coercion, intimidation, threat and harassment? Or is it just for discrimination based on age, sex, blah, blah?
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:23 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• If I were him, I'd be looking hard and fast for a new job.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:24 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Look for a new job asap. That sounds like trouble.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:30 AM on Feb. 26, 2009