what do you do?

my daughter is 17 months old and i stopped giving her the bottle cause she only cares for it when she sleeps at night. well, its DAY 4 and she is still whining for it at night. is this normal? i thought by DAY 3 they stop whining for it... i feel so bad about it, but its DAY4... i dont want to mess it up now. is there anything else i can do to soothe her to sleep so she doesnt need a bottle?
ANY advice or tips would be great. thank you.

kiliki_malie

Asked by kiliki_malie at 8:11 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I offer my son a sippy cup. He keeps it in his bed. Because I mean dont we all wake up at night needing a drink? I get up everynight and get myself a drink. Worked for my son.
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 12:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I think you need to stick with your decision. We went cold turkey on the pacifier at bedtime awhile back, and it took a good few weeks for bedtime to return to a normal, happy affair. Good luck!
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:18 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Just stick with it. Give her something that she finds comforting, toy, blanket or one of your sweaters or shirts.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:23 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I'm trying to do the same thing. My son takes a cup through out the day. However, at night we give him a bottle. I heard that you should gradually take him off of the bottle. For example, instead of a bottle of milk try giving him water/juice. Then when she excepts that maybe try putting the juice in a sippy cup, after that you may decrease the amount given over a few days until finally she doesnt need it anymore. Usually the bottle at night is the hardest, they say it's a security thing, so I give our son his favorite blanket also. He crys for a little bit, but eventually he does go to sleep.
    mateosmami2007

Answer by mateosmami2007 at 10:25 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• yea...the thing with her though is that she doesnt have a speacial blanket or teddy bear. she really isnt attached to anything. the hardest part is at night for me also.
    i just cant figure out what i can do to make her sleep at night without the whining and in the the middle of the night when she wakes up.
    ive tried making her REALLY tired, but no luck with that either. its the fourth day and it feels like the first day when i took her off the bottle. =/
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 10:44 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• You might need to be a little proactive here and GIVE her something to use as a comfort item. She might know how to use something other than food or people for comfort. When we took the nuk away from my son, we started giving him a stuffed elephant instead. He always has it in his crib with him, and we make a big deal of saying goodnight to the elephant and hugging it and stuff. At first he was indifferent and just wanted the nuk back, but after awhile he started to take to the elephant. Now he loves it to death and freaks out if you try to put him to bed without it.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:02 AM on Feb. 26, 2009