Does anyone else's pre-school child do this?

My DD is three and she always walks around with her hands in a fist, like the way infants do. Does your pre-school aged child do this?

lapcounter

Asked by lapcounter at 8:24 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My oldest used to walk around like that all the time until he started OT and we were working on his sensory issues.

Not saying that's what it is...he always did it, we just didn't realize there was a reason for it. He didn't like touching things...so if his hands were in fists, he didn't have to touch textures.

My current 3 year old doesn't do it, by 2 year old did for a while. Just remind her "open hands" or "relax hands".
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Hmmm, I've never really noticed. I don't think so though. She likes walking around with her hands on her hips.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:50 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My daughter will be 3 in June and she never has her hands in a fist. That's weird. I run a home daycare preschool and have 12 kids ages 18 months to 5 and none of them do that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My DS has never done that...have you mentioned it to the doctor? I would not worry too much about it unless she is hurting her hands in some way, like with her fingernails.
    AZia1975

Answer by AZia1975 at 11:54 AM on Feb. 26, 2009