How can i get my 2 1/2 year old to sleep through the night??

He's is a very energetic child and never stops; He's doesnt take naps during the day and we dont over load him on sugar. Why wont he sleep at night?

vfinch

Asked by vfinch at 8:49 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have the exact same problem. my son doesnt take naps either and he doesnt sleep through the night either. im sorry i cant give any advice since im going through the same thing. but you arent alone :)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:09 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• is he bored? My son is extremely hyper but we keep him busy all day long with high energy activities. he even excericse with me. (he's 2) by the time its bed time 9pm he's tired and yea sometimes he doesn't want to go to bed. but we do have a nightime routine of a warm bath ( i used the nightime soap) read a couple of books and then we put on his nightlight, sound machine and close the door. and that's that. he needs to understand that its stime to go to sleep. it might take a couple days for it to actually work, but once ur in an active routine and a settling down routine he'll get the hang of it
    CubanFIre

Answer by CubanFIre at 10:11 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• At first my son was the same way. However, I make him take naps through out the day so he doesnt get overly tired. Even if he doesnt go to sleep...I still put him in his crib to let him wind down and relax. At night we give him a bath and put him to sleep. He usually crys, but eventually he does fall asleep with in 15 minutes. Try just explaining to him that it's time for bed and give him a bath and lay him in his bed and maybe sing him a song or give him his favorite stuffed animal or blanket and shut the door. He will cry, but give it time and he will understand that it's not time to play anymore, and it's time to go to sleep.
    mateosmami2007

Answer by mateosmami2007 at 10:22 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• He may be overtired. Since he isn't napping at all during the day, he's probably exhausted and once they get to that point they get restless. Try feeding him at the same time every night, then let him play, after play time do a warm bath, then try a down time activity like reading a book. After that try laying him down. He'll probably fight every now and then, but be consistent, if he wakes up lay him back down. Don't allow him to get back up.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 1:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2009