Did you know that a parent can choose not to vaccinate due to religion?

There is a form called "request for religious exemption immunization form" found in the NY State website.

Sunny405

Asked by Sunny405 at 9:17 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• In delaware we have a religious exemption you can sign, I had to sign one for my girls because I didn't want them having the chicken pox booster (it's a useless vaccine). I made it clear to the school that it wasn't for religious reasons.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:33 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• A parent can choose not to vaccinate for any personal reason, when a child goes to school this is most likely the reason they will state for no vaccinations and then their children can attend school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Yes, if my younger kids go I will use a religious exemption.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:22 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• It depends on the state you live in. Some only allow for religious reasons, others allow you to make the decision on your own, without a religious doctrine to back up why you don't believe its in the best interest of your child.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:27 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Yes, many Amish people do not vaccinate their children
    Yellowrose9

Answer by Yellowrose9 at 9:27 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• But Amish kids don't usualy go to public schools. The religous exemption has been around for a while I tthink
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:30 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Every state has a medical exemption, all but TWO US states allow for both medical and religious, and many states have all THREE exemptions: medical, religious, and philosophical.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:21 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Yes, I heard that and I do not agree. I will do whatever I need to in order to keep my child healthy and safe, no matter what.
    miranda2001

Answer by miranda2001 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• miranda, why don't you agree? you believe that people should be forced to vaccinate their children? that's terrible.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:28 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Miranda, people who don't vax feel the same way. We just want our kids healthy and safe and we do not feel vaxing will do either of those things.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:29 AM on Feb. 26, 2009