When do you call CPS?

I have a friend who just started working for cps and it got me thinking. I know if there is sexual abuse or some one is beating there kids you should call, but I was wondering where most people think the line is? When do you think there should be government intervention? Have you ever had to call?

Panopel

Asked by Panopel at 9:42 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• i have had to call many times, as a teacher we are legally required to call even if we just suspect abuse... i call if the kid says they are being beaten, molested, or i see evidence of it on them,,, i have also called on neighbors because i heard them beating the crap out of their child.. if i am wrong. i am wrong, no harm done, if i am right i may save a life, i dont wanna lose my teaching licence so i do what i have to.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:44 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Nope, I have never called on anyone. I think that people call CPS way too often for such petty things. Like if the child gets a spanking or something. Just like my SIL had cps called on her from her ex husband because he said she was abusing their 1 year old son. Who fell down and got a really big lump on his eye. She brought him into the E.R. to make sure he didn't have a concusion and he went their and wouldn't allow it... So wouldn't you think it should've been the other way around? He was neglecting his son by not allowing him to be treated at a hospital~! I think when you have all of the facts that their is neglect, abuse, sexual abuse so on and so forth then they should be called. But if you don't see everything/no every detail then you should stay out of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Also... I have a daughter with medical problems and she falls a lot due to her seziures. Well she already had a broken wrist, and now just last weekend she fell due to her seziure and busted her lip open and had to ge stiches... I'm sure from an outsiders point of view, they would think I was harming my child. But they don't know because, she has many medical problems. She also chipped her 2 front teeth last summer by falling.. But as I said they wouldn't know about her other conditions. So thats why I say that they should know every detail and see all of the signs of the abuse befor calling.!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I think it's best to trust your gut. CPS won't just say "gee this person thinks there is abuse, we had better take their kids away." They'll do an investigation. I had a friend who had CPS called on her because she said something to her son in a public swimming pool. I will never know what it was she said, but she tends to be a little flip and mean so I imagine it was something like "Don't swim away from me or you'll drown and I won't save you" or something like that. Someone called CPS and they came right down to the park! Then the kids were interviewed at her home and there were a few surprise visits to the house. In the end it was decided to be unfounded. So, I guess my answer is anytime your gut says something isn't right. CPS will do the investigation work.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I know you should’nt call for frivolous reasons you know nothing about but I meant like you know they’re on drugs and don’t know what extent there children are being taken care of. Or if they spank a lot and you’re not sure how far is abuse. Or is verbal abuse or drunkness a reason to call? I have an autistic son and I am always worried some one is going to see his bruises from his horrible fits where he bangs his head on the floor and call on me. Or see the me wrestling with him in a parking lot to keep him in a car seat and call the cops.
    Panopel

Answer by Panopel at 9:57 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My girlfriends daughter has 2 autistic boys and the neighbors all know.. one takes his clothes off and runs around... tries to go to nieghbors...tries to get out of bedroom window they had to close it off.. the local police know about them... and are watching to help them when needed...
    jzonewood

Answer by jzonewood at 10:55 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I had a visit from social services for spending my child support on lavish vacations... and was accused ofhaving no beds for kids and locks on fridge... None of this was true... I work full time and saved up for a year to take the kids to florida...for my nephews wedding...and a mini vaca cuz it was florida...I had just started recieving child support for mabye 4 months.. after 12 years of NO SUPPORT. Gee who called? yepp my EX just to be nasty... I took the lady around my house.. she talked to the kids. myself, looked at my W2's. She dismissed the whole thing before she left.... That was a waste of her time...Funny thing is He paid for 8 months and stopped in all those years... I did it all on my own.... the kids are now 22,20 this was 7 years ago.. He has seen them once of his own choice.... he just doesn not want to pay... he is in arrears... 35,0000. right now...
    jzonewood

Answer by jzonewood at 11:01 AM on Feb. 26, 2009