As a mother, do you have any regrets?

I have always followed my heart when it came to parenting...and I believe

PB_J

Asked by PB_J at 10:08 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• we all have regrets, there's nothing we can do about that. Making decisions in the heat of the moment is difficult, and we don't always make the best choices for our kids. I don't think it would be good parenting if we didn't second guess and regret a few things. Realizing what we regret doing makes us want to do better for our kids in the future.
    There are things I regret, but I know they're teaching me to be a better parent.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:52 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Formula feeding, vaccinating and circumsicion are my biggest regrets. Also my one planned c-section, really crappy choice with a really crappy outcome. Fortunatley, I have changed over the years and all of my children didn't suffer.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:17 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Yep. I regret getting induced and regret giving her her birth,2 and 4 month vaccines. (she hasn't had any since). I feel bad at how naive I was, and how I just "followed" the crowd. If I had known then what I know now, it wouldn't have happened. I feel bad that Becka was like the "guinea pig".. our first child, and it's a learning process. This baby will be born at home, no induction, and none of the other crap that goes along with a hospital birth, and no vaccines.

I understand the circ issue. My husband and I were going at each other day and night. This baby *may* be a boy, but the u/s tech said girl. My husband, still wants a boy circed, but wants him to be named Robert Alexander more. That's our compromise. I hate the name (his bro, best friend, and best friend's son, are all named Robert). He said, if you let me have the name we wont circ. lol..
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:18 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I have more regrets than I can count! Mainly with my son. I had my son when I was 16. When he was born my mom took over and didn't really let me be mom (i didn't know what I was doing). So instead of letting me learn how to be a mom...she just let me be a kids still and do everything a 16, 17, 18 year old would do...And, I wish I would have stepped up and told my mom that I am his mother not her...because now my son and I have a relationship like you would with a little brother not a son...(he's 7 now)...I also wish I would have breast fed him just to have that bond with him. I vaxxed him, co-slept (with him it wasnt a big deal bc he was my only child and i was not married), disposable diaper....
    With my daughter I only co-slept for the first 2 months...I breast fed (formula fed 6-12 months), I vax, She wears pull ups and she did wear diapers...I spank both kids when needed and I do not regret that (never works lol)
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 10:30 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Oh and I cirmcumsized my son and I do not regret that.
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 10:31 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My biological son could not get circ when he was born. He had some blocked kidneys. Every time i went to have itdone he would have to be put to sleep but had a cold so they cancelled procedure.. then I said if he ever wants it i will get it for him... he wanted not to be different at age 8. he talked about it for months... I had it done for him.... ( insurance covers it 100% no matter what age the male decides to do it). I wanted it done for medical reasons... I am in the medical field ... higher % of penile cancer in uncirc. and have seen first hand infections for uncirc. and the stuff they accumulate under the foreskin.... yuck yuck. one infection and they will want to be circ. I have assisted on surgery of 50/60/year old men having it done... and younger...
    I think circumcize is the way to go...
    jzonewood

Answer by jzonewood at 10:51 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• jzonewood: your poor son. AND many insurance WILL NOT cover them anymore, because it's considered a cosmetic procedure. A child, at 8, only feels different if his parents instill that they are different.

As for your statistics, you are wrong. There isn't a higher occurrence of penile cancer, and infections stem from improper care. Ignorance causes infections. Medical workers who pull back the foreskin, and morons in nursing homes who don't know how to care for uncirced penis'. Of course you see all the *bad* stuff. That's what happens when you work in the medical field, you see people who are sick, not those who live happy and healthy uncirced, etc.

The US is about 50/50 but much of the industrialized world doesn't have as high of a circ rate as we do here, nor do they have a higher rate of penile cancers, etc lol.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:55 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Yes, i deeply regret the few times I have spanked my daughter, even though it was only one swat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Thanks celticreverie...my thoughts too...
    PB_J

Answer by PB_J at 11:04 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I regret stopping breastfeeding at 10 months.

I also regret getting upset and using my mommy roar when it wasn't necessary.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 11:14 AM on Feb. 26, 2009