Do you agree that "people should not be afraid of their governemnt, the government should be afraid of it's people."

Please watch this trailor (or rent the movie):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTlgpnNQYmg

It is for a movie you may have not seen called V for Vendetta - in which the British government is responsible for the death of hundereds of thousdands of people and a world plauge - and a Vice Chancellor screams out that it wants the people to remember "WHY THEY NEED US". It is a government ruled on the FEAR of the people.

One of the quotes in the trailor I like best is "the people should NOT be afraid of their government, the government should be afraid of it's people".

I can't help but think the economy is being used like the plauge in this movie - and the stimulus packages, socialistically designed to keep people dependent on government, promote government regulation and ownership of private industry will be used to make the people believe we CANT do it ourselves. YES WE CAN (didn't see that line coming did ya)

Praying

Asked by Praying at 10:28 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Wholeheartedly.

It's supposed to be "government for the people BY the people". I don't feel that the current government gives a shit what we think. It's all about the rich guys and making them richer. He with the money gets the laws passed. Our forefathers must be rolling in their graves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Well it certainly sounds like the president is trying to rely on the fact that people in general are going to suddenly become more responsible by giving them money for nothing. I can't stand it that peolple are saying, oh I don't think we should give our government the right to make decisions for us yet thats exactly what they voted or are votiing for...duh!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• The government is not afraid of the people because the people continue to elect the same ones into office over and over again. We complain but never do a thing about what they spend or what nonsense they sell to us. Sooner or later, we have to have changes and it will come to pass. Maybe not in our lifetime but it will.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I think a little healthy fear on BOTH sides is a good thing. Anytime you implicitly trust an entity with that much power you will soon find subversion.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:40 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Anon 10:33

I guess the problem is in the more recent past disagreements over decisions made by government haven't been so vehemently opposed by half of the country.

I am not comfortable any longer with the systems of checks and balances in our country. I think they have failed and half of the country is no longer represented.

If current actions create future votes to be made of fear, then manipulation still has won the day.

Being in public office the government is supposed to make decisions it believes REPRESENT the people, they represent us not overrule us. This isn't just for Obama either that I make this quote. Bush's stimulus package was opposed strongly as well. However, the voice of many was ignored. I'm starting to think that for any spending bill larger than X dollars the whole nation should VOTE.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 10:47 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I think anon10:40 is right

A lot of this we brought on ourselves. Or some of us did. I mean we need to be vocal and discuss with people local to us WHY our representatives need to be VOTED OUT.

For too long local and state politicians have gotten away with ANYTHING they wanted and we just shrug and figure that's government. They need to be voted out so that when they go to D.C. to represent us they really are REPRESENTING US.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 10:51 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I see it as~The Government should work for the people. SO the people must HOLD the Government ACCOUNTABLE..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Sadly, we are only just starting to again. At least the concept is picking up steam.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 12:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Yes, I agree with this. The government is supposed to be of the people, by the people, for the people, not the other way around.

MemawBrie

Answer by MemawBrie at 12:42 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I agree with this statement. Unfortunately, until we can get the general populace more interested in our govt than American Idol, I don't see things changing.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 1:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2009