how to deal with" mama's boy" behavior?

I have a 13 year old who is just too attached to me. He is constatnly hugging me and holding my hand. My husband ( not his dad), me and my son just moved from Puerto Rico almost a year ago and he still doesn't make any friends. His dad is back in PR and I've sent him back regularly. Every time my son gets stressed he says he wants to go back to his dad. My husband is good to him but gets very annoyed at his "mama's boy"ways. I've told him to stop being so clingy, that he is 13 and that is not right anymore. This has been straining my relationship with both my husband and my kid. My son is very touchy, mu husband a little tired of it and me, right in the middle trying to make them both happy!! Anyone going through anything like this out there?

mclugo

Asked by mclugo at 10:42 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• my step daughter is the same way with her dad. she is 16 and sits in his lap and wants him to tuck her in at night and everything. i thought that it was really weird and come to find out she is bi polor. she needs to feel like she is loved ALL the time. and your husband needs to realise that he is your child and going threw a lot. maybe you should look into consoling.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Yeah, that sounds like a lot of insecurity. Its possible hes just craving love and attention from everywhere. Make sure he keeps in contact with his dad regularly. Counseling would probably benefit him. Just to talk about how he feels about being separated from his dad.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:10 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• so you and your new hubby don't accept the child as he is? that's just sad. Hubbies come and go but kids love us unconditionally forever. What's important to you, what hubby says or how your son feels about himself? Tell hubby to quit being jealous and selfish.
    Anonymous

• hi i think your family could benifit from counceling. your son may be having alot of difficulties with adjustments, have an attachment disorder, or feel insecure in his relationships or it could just be he is a verry sensitive child. but because of the strain in your family it might be worth it. get him involved it a group settin (scouts or sports or a club of some kind) to help him make friends. he may just be lonly. moving to a new country is a big change and can be especialy hard on a child. we went across the country for a summer once and it was increadibly hard for me and i was 25!! ( my then 8 yr old was fine) hang in there!!
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 3:47 AM on Feb. 27, 2009