PLEASE HELP - 4 year old and Showers

My daughter is 4 and she has been asking about the shower and wants to try it. She gets ear infections whenever water gets into her ears, and every time I give her a bath I have to put on one of those hats that stops the water from getting into the eyes (its also lays over the ears so water don't get into it) but its getting to small to use. Any suggestions on how I can introduce her to the shower, and how I can protect her ears? She always takes Baths and we have one of the hoses that connects to the tub that I use to wash her hair with. Any help will be greatly appreciated! She's turning into miss independent, and wants to wash herself now without mommys help lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we use the wax for my 4 1/2 yr old. she loves it . it even comes in cool colors for the kids. she ahs not had an ear infection since we started using it 2 years ago. Good luck momma
    Disneymom1218

Answer by Disneymom1218 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I'd be nervous that she might slip and fall in the shower....maybe get her one of those bath stools to sit on? I think cotton balls in her ears would work well enough - but you shold probably ask your doctor to make sure...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• stepmom929, we have one of those elmo bath matts thats slip proof. :)
    I thought of Cotton balls but I'll be afraid it would get wet and water will still get into her ear?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• my 4 year old has been showering on her own for several months. We check in on her at regular intervals. She's never had a problem and in fact, does a better job at getting clean in the shower than the bath. Why not start by turning on the shower and facing the shower head as close to straight down as you can - meaning part of the tub will NOT be hit with the spray. Let her put her hand in and feel the water coming down. When she's ready, have her stand under it.

I'm not sure what to say about her ears. I would think that unless she's tipping her head to the side, you're not as likely to get water in the ear from a shower. . .but then again, we've not dealt with this so I can't say for sure. What about the ear plugs used for by swimmers? Or can you just let her shower as is and then use the "Swimmers Ear" ear drops to dry any water that may have gotten in out before they cause a problem?
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:05 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• i would trya bath mat. and maybe a shower cap pulled down over her ears.
    momof3102

Answer by momof3102 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My sons have always showered.

Put a swimming cap on her in the shower and just wash her hair separately.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:38 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• at the stores at the pharmacy section they sell they things for ur ears, they are like putty and mold to ur ears so no water gets in. also they have the small tubes like when u go into the pool. these are effective. trust me i personally deal with ear infections at least once a month since i was a toddler and i'm 22. just do the best u can, it will happen from time to time dont mean ur not being a good mom
    CubanFIre

Answer by CubanFIre at 2:38 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Ask the pharmacist. They have this stuff that is like wax that can be placed in the ear to keep out water.

Answer by Bmat at 5:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My son will be 3 in May. He has been taking showers for a couple of months. I am always in there i do not shut the curtains all the way. i just put bath towels on the floor. My son has tubes in his ears. He just started submerging his head in the water. but his bath water was not that much. then water would get in his ears. Try not letting her head go under the shower or use a shower cap. My son now just stands under the shower. He likes the water on his skin. Again I am always right there. his child always wants take a sower and brush his teeth. He does both 2-3 times a day.
    MarqsMom

Answer by MarqsMom at 8:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2009