Do you think that you are a better mom than your own mother is/was?

miranda2001

Asked by miranda2001 at 10:59 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have a wonderful loving Mother, and she raised us the best she could with the information she had. My brother rode around standing on the front seat of a Chevy Impala until he was too tall to do it anymore. That is something relatively unheard of these days..at least among educated people. I know I am better Mom than my Mom was, and I know my kids will be better parents than I am...I think that is how it should be don't you?

salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:08 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I believe my mom did the best she could and I believe I am too, I don't think either one of us is better or worse, we both have/had very different situations.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:03 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I believe my mom did the best she could, as well.

I think I'm a much more huggy-type mom than mine was- I know she loved/loves me, but it always felt a little awkward giving her a hug. Or if I would express myself emotionally and ask their advice, it would be - oh, you'll be ok. I want my daughter to know she can come to me with ANYTHING and I'll be there for her.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 11:06 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Personally, my mom was an alcoholic and didn't treat us very well, and emotionally wasn't there for us, but I learned alot from it, and still respected her and loved her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I believe I'm a better mom because of my mom! She was the greatest mom and I have learned everything from her....including mistakes she may have made along the way, as we all make mistakes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• absolutely i have the benifit of learning from my mom's mistakes... my mil let her dh beat her kids so i could never be that bad of a mother!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:41 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Yes, unfortunately my mother's parenting skills were lacking. My brothers and I were mostly raised by our Grandparents. I also know I am a better parent than they were. My mother was an alcoholic and neglectful. She ended up killing herself in a drunk driving accident. Thankfully she didn't hit anyone.

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 11:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Yes, I think I'm a better mother than my mother was to me. My mother wasn't never around when I was growing up. I spend most of my time alone or w/ my grandparents. I learned how to be a better mother because of this. Being there for my kids is the most important thing in my life!!
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 12:37 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My mom was/is a very good mother. I would hope I am as good as she is. But I do things alot differently than she does.
    lilnivy

Answer by lilnivy at 12:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I think I am. She has her priorities way screwed up. My siblings and I were more like burdens then loved responsibilities. She usually fed and clothed us, but often said she hated us. My daughter is young, but I can already tell I'm a way better mom just cause I care more about her all around well being. My mom thought her job was to keep us alive and that she should be praised for it cause she did it alone. I understand the hardship of being a broke single mom, but how you handle and treat your kids still matters. She didn't "raise" us. We just lived with her and kinda raised ourselves. I think the emotional part of motherhood is so much more important than people make it out to be.
    Anonymous