Is your husband circumsized? Did you circumsize your son?

My new grandson wasn't circumsized and neither is my husband. I just think it's NOT medically necessary and to be honest I find it a little cruel. But each has his own opinion and I'm simply interested in your thoughts on this topic.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• My decision to not circ my son was not based on any opinion at all...
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:42 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My husband is circ'd and so is my son. I have mixed feelings about this subject. I have only been with 2 guys in my life, one circ'd (hubby) and one not. Honestly the other guy was clean, I showered with him everyday and his still had a funky odor. I refused to give him head and it was just a total turn off. I know it isn't medically necessary but I want my son to be clean and not have to be self conscious during sex when he is older. I know that some don't smell and some don't have medical problems but I know alot do and I have heard of alot of men that have had to get circ'd later in life because of infections and things. My son didn't even cry during his so I don't think it is that cruel.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I agree with you. My husband wasn't, and neither of my boys are.

Oddly enough - MIL couldn't seem to make up her mind with her 6 boys. Some are, some aren't. I've not had the guts to ask why that is. She's very open (which is how I know what I know in the first place) but I just feel that's a little too intimate and they probably wouldn't be happy if I knew they were or not in the first place.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I agree with you. My hubby is not, and my son won't be either. I asked the ladies on here why they did/didn't have it done because I wanted facts to help with the decision. I ended up getting fed A LOT of websites and found A LOT on my own and they all pretty much say the same thing and it just didn't add up to me. Like a lot of them said they uncirc'ed men are at a bit of a higher risk to contract an std from a partner...I thought that was a joke. If you have unsafe sex you will get an std, either way. /sigh
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• my hubby is and my son is. i personally think it is gross and unclean and that extra skin can serve as a rubber band at cutting off circulation and can be verrryyy painful when they are older and relying on others to take care of them. imagine having to have ice applied to your penis because the person taking care of you did put that foreskin back in its place so your penis head is swollen and blue. eh. i'm not letting my son be subject to that, or just the embarrassment of not being.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• hubby isnt. and son isnt. it was actually found that its better for them not to be. it protects them from stds! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Yesh my husband and son are. My son slept through the whole entire procedure so I know it wasn't too painful for him. I knew someone who wasn't circumsized and had gotten a really bad infection while at war because it's hard for them to bathe everyday.....well at 24 he had to get circumsized. How do you think that felt?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• DH is and DS is too. I did serious research on this and choosing to circ just had a few more pros for **our** situation, but I really agonized over the decision. MommaBear, that is not true, actually uncirc'd boys have a higher risk of getting HIV. Either way, I see both sides and totally understand why some parents choose not too, the only thing I can't undersand are ignorant people who do it only because they think everyone does or because they think its "gross" ...do your research and educate yourself!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Mines not and Im glad i think Its better that way. But If we had a son Im sure he would make him get it done he has never been comfortable with having skin never a med. or funk issue just ashamed, his older brother is an must have given him a complex. even though I tell him the truth about how I feel it wont change his feelings.
    Anonymous

• Did you not read my full response? Oh okay. Must not have.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 26, 2009