how high should your blood sugars be before they cause risks to your baby

I am 12 1/2 weeks pregnant and am type 2 diabetic. my dr put me on glyburide. how high do my sugars have to be before they cause problems to my baby

zchristy3

Asked by zchristy3 at 11:06 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i know if you have to rely on meds to much during your pregnancy they will put youo in the hospital to keep an eye on you sometimes for months as for how high that should be a question for your dr because diabetes is diff for everyone
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and it has been a battle. I'm currently on 5 mg of glyburide which I take twice a day, and I take insulin R and insulin N twice a day.

This is what my doc told me: High sugar levels can affect babies in several ways. 1) Over sized baby that can cause complications during birth. Also, diabetic babies tend to carry weight in their shoulders, so that can further complicate vaginal birth. 2) You baby will adjust to your sugar levels, therefore causing hypoglycemia when he/she is born. There's also risk of the baby developing diabetes themselves later in life. 3) If diabetes goes untreated during pregnancy, the baby can be stillborn. My doc also told me she will not let me deliver if my sugar is in the 200s. I've had it spike to 338, but we've controlled it with a higher dosage of insulin.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 11:21 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• cont'd ...

Don't let this discourage you. Although it’s been very rough for me, there certainly are worse things that can happen during pregnancy. Follow your doctor’s advice (because, after all that’s what you’re paying them for!) and take good care of yourself! It’s great that you’re monitoring early. Most of the time, diabetes isn’t treated in pregnancy until later in the second trimester.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 11:22 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• gestational diabetes is different than having diabetes pre-pregnancy. I have very mild gestational diabetes. I am not diabetic outside of pregnancy.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 26, 2009