If you saw someone beating their child would you report them?

As a mother of three I know kids get on your nerves sometimes. I was shopping and a mother literally punched her 5 year old in the face pulled him pants down in line and beat him(not spank) .

Yellowrose9

Asked by Yellowrose9 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would be in jail! I cannot take that kind of shit....WOW just WOW, God that makes me sick. I for sure would have gone off on her. I most certainly would have asked for store security or the police. These are tiny defenseless little people, if we don't stand up for them who will? I cannot imagine violating the fact that each child has a right to live in an environment that is loving and safe. If your Mom will do this crap to you who won't? Where do you go to feel safe? How do you ever build trust, let alone self esteem? Have you ever seen that show "What Would You Do"? I am amazed at the amount of people who will simply turn a blind eye. Well not this Mama!

salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:00 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• oh wow!!!!!
    i would of def. reported her! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Um, I would probably be going to jail after I defended that child and knocked the lights out of that mother. Child abuse is the worst kind of abuse because those children CAN'T defend themselves. Oh man. I'm a short little thing- but I swear that mother would be on the ground.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• BTW I am NOT fighter whatsoever.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I would have at least said something to her. There's a difference in THAT and spaking their bottoms. I don't agree with that,and yes, I would most likely report her.
    twiztidmom6205

Answer by twiztidmom6205 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• yes!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:21 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Did you call the police? Or at least try to stop her,,then call the police?

Answer by louise2 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• If this woman was actually beating her child you need to call the police! If it was just a slap on the wrist deal don't get involved.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:28 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• i usually mind my own business. but if i find it like you explained, i would say something for sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I am a former CPS caseworker - YES definitely report abuse!!!!!!

Spanking, no, abuse yes.

That being said, I will never spank my kids in public for fear that I'll be reported.
    Anonymous