Why will all the people on the island die if they don't all go back?

Do you watch Lost? I've seen every episode, but it's like it makes no difference...nobody I know has a clue as to what's going on!

So I know that this season the whole deal is to get everyone who left to go back, and from what I gather the reason is that if they don't go back, everyone left on the island will die.

Why will they all die? Is it because of the flashes/time warps and they'll all get that bloody nose curse of death thing? I'm unclear about a lot of things on this show, of course, but I guess I just don't understand where the whole premise of this season came from - come back or they die. Why would they die?

Did I miss something obvious? (Are there obvious things on this show?! haha)

ErinMarie123

Asked by ErinMarie123 at 11:41 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Entertainment

• I missed a whole bunch of episodes and tried to watch one of the more recent ones. I forgot how confusing that show is ;-D!
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 11:45 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• In order for the flashes to stop, everyone has to go back. I'm not sure if they say why they will die if the flashes continue.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 11:50 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I'm not sure it's true. You can't really believe everything Ben says and he would do/say anything to get back on that island. And Locke really believes that they have to go back but who knows if that is true. I think he had to leave for the flashes to stop because he had to turn the wheel to fix the island.

Basically the idea is that the island "needs" those people that crashed and they have to go back. I really don't think you are supposed to understand it. Part of the charm of the show is that the viewer is just as confused and "lost" as the people on the island.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I love this show! lol I think it is something to do with the "bloody nose curse of death" also it said something about a "war" coming to the island and that's why everyone needs to go back. We'll just have to wait and see. Maybe NO ONE is supposed to go back and they've all screwed themselves! haha

MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 12:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Because the plane crash on the island was destiny. They are supposed to be there so that they can win the war thats coming on the island. They can't win it without the Oceanic 6.
    They all have a purpose on the island.
    And yes the time traveling would have kept going if locke didnt leave to reunite everyone and eventually the would have bled to death from it. Locke had to die to bring everyone together and return...
    I heard that they're going to answer most of the questions this season since next season the show ends!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 8:50 PM on Mar. 5, 2009