American Values (open minded only)

First off - if you are the type who thinks exposure to any religion not your own will send you straight to Hell, stop reading now and move on. This is not for you.
Second off - this involves politics and religion, but it's more about religion so I put it here, if you can't tolerate politics, move on.

I came across this while I was researching my paper last night, but I'd like to hear some other opinions on it. Obviously, I'm biased, but I wholeheartedly agree with the principal. It addresses the issues I've had with the whole concept of the "religious right" and an attitude I hope will expand to both parties. So how do you see it - are the principles of accountability and forgiveness at cross purposes?
http://swainblog.englatheod.org/?p=234

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:59 AM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Wow... I'm a Child of God and I GET it. I'm not saying that it's the be-all-end-all of arguments for or against one side or the other, I'm just saying that I get it. The best I ever heard forgiveness defined was not in what forgiveness is, but what forgiveness is not:
    1. Approval
    2. Forgetting
    3. Justifying
    4. Giving In
    5. Reconciliation
    6. Re-hiring
    7. Trust
    8. Getting Even

Just something more to add the punchbowl of knowledge.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:45 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:59 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• i like it!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:03 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Great read, thank you for posting. I agree.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Very interesting. I think the most interesting part was about the forgiveness/heathen part. But I've always kind of looked at that like there will always be consequenses to your actions (according to God and the bible.) but that doesn't mean there isn't any room for forgiveness.
    PinkDiamond717

Answer by PinkDiamond717 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My question is why can't you have forgiveness AND accountability? I think people do not really understand what forgiveness is in the "religious" sense. All and all I can see where the writer is coming from. Interesting view...thanks for sharing it.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:10 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Very good article. Thank you for sharing. Yes I believe it is very correct.
    Anonymous

• 2 things - in this article Heathenry refers to the Heathen religion (Asatru, germanic native, Theodism, Odinism, etc) not the generic concept of anyone not a Christian is a heathen. I probably should've mentioned that up front. We have very specific rules, called the nine noble virtues, similar to the notion of the 10 commandments, and that is where the subjects of honor and responsibility come into it.

About the religious sense of forgiveness, I see that as part of the problem - it works for an individual in their relationship with their god and with others, but as a public policy, it tends to fall apart.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• It's important to hold people accountable for their actions.  It's also important to have faith that they will 'get what's coming to them', be it through God or karma.

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”  ~ Buddha

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Its a good article, but I think she is basing the views of Christianity on a one sided spectrum. Everybody that calls themselves "Christians" does ot follow the bible word for word. Meaning, Christians that read, study, and apply the bible for its true meaning will have the honor that she speaks of. Down through the years, the bible has been watered down and manipulated for selfish gain with no intention to give God glory out of their lives. The writer of this article had some good points, but was off on several accusations of the "Christian right" as she calls it.
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 12:24 PM on Feb. 26, 2009